1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

riboflavin deficiency - treatment.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bear554, Oct 8, 2016.

1. bear554

bear554 New Egg

Oct 8, 2016
    Hi everyone, I'm new here and wanting to ask a question, our chicks have recently
    Hatched in our incubator (we got the eggs from
    Our neighbour) and it's our first time so lots to learn, and two of them seem to have riboflavin deficiency. (One has curled toes and sitting on its hock, the other will not stand laying flat out with a leg in either direction but does sit up but also on its hocks with both legs out in front but has certainly picked up a lot since the other chicks being removed from incubotor.

I can't get to a pet shop until tomorrow but most properly Monday morning first thing, I work tomorrow and live in a rural area so nothing is open. I may be able to get some
    Brewers yeast tomorrow.

So my question is can I use something at home for the time being to help with vitamin b?
    I have hairy lemon which is like Berroca,

Molasses, vit and minerals for horses, and electrolytes for horses.
    Would any of these help?
    If so can anyone help with dosage? And how often ?
    I don't have an eye dropper but I do have
    1ml and up syringes.

Thanks for your time I appreciate it so much.

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Try offering foods that are high in riboflavin such as eggs, ground raw almonds, beef liver, fortified cereals, etc. Get to the store for a poultry vitamin supplement ASAP though--chicks have rapid development and the lack will affect them more quickly than it would a human.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by