Rice Bran Oil for Weight Gain in Horses? **UPDATE on pg 3**

My older TB is having a hard time this year with weight and the vet floated his teeth about 3 weeks ago so I know that isn't the problem. She said he is perfectly healthy, just has his breed and age stacked against him. She recommended a feed that is over 20$ a bag, I can't afford that! She also said that rice bran or rice bran oil would do well too.
hu.gif

In the winter, here in New England, I add 1/4 cup of black oil sunflower seeds to their grain. They are a great source of natural, digestable fats and oils. If you go with this -keep an eye on their manure to be sure that it is not too rich for some. My little drafty girl can have them occasionally but not in the daily regimen, instead she gets a bit more hay.

If you can get Poulin grains in your area - they have a great product for horses at work or horses that need a but of fat for weight - it is Poulin 10:12 Performance I believe. It is a sweet feed but with very little sticky and has beet pulp nuggets in it. About $15/ 50# bag. There Revolution is really great as well - about $14/50 # bag.

You might want to check on www.equichat.com - search on rice bran/oil.

Here are my kids - pretty healthy weights

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?...kin_id=601&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Last edited:
I've used rice bran; I've used oil; I've used BOSS; been happy with all of them, provided you can get the horse to eat 'em of course (varies among horses, and you often need to start small and work up gradually.

I've never used rice bran oil (never seen it available).

Last time I paid attention -- which was like 5-10 yrs ago, and thoughts on the subject may have changed -- vets were saying that any vegetable oil was basically equivalent so buy the cheapest (nonrancid) one you can.

Pat

Wow! They are beautiful!! Thank You for sharing!!!

TSC has the rice bran oil for 24$ and it is a gallon size. I wasn't sure if regular vegetable oil would have the same effect or not...the rice bran oil is pretty high in fat.

My daughters mare is part Arab and this is our first winter with her the previous owner (who had her since birth 11 yrs) told us she drops wait in the winter.This mare has always been at the bottom of the pecking order...We have kept in contact and even though Kansas is doing fine I had her over just to check her out and she said she was fine but told me that in the winter she would feed Kansas her Hay first and then her feed...so at least the feed has some time to do some good in her stomach....so thats what we have been doing with all the horses this winter....I give them their hay and then do some mucking up and then give them their feed..and then they went back to their hay......they were ticked but they soon got over it...

I've used stabilized rice bran, in powder form, and it's a freaking miracle. I kid you not. Equi-Jewel is the brand I used first, and later when that became too hard to find, I switched to Glo-Mor, and it seemed to do fine. Now they also offer it in pelleted form in addition to the powder.

Body Builder is another product that I've had amazing success with, in dogs and horses. We've used it many times in rescues or young show dogs to help them add muscle mass.

Back
Top Bottom