Rice Bran

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wclawrence, Nov 5, 2007.

1. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone here feed rice bran (mixed with water) to your birds? I was thinking since it is high in fat and fairly high in protein and fiber, that it may be good for the birds that need to add on some extra weight for the winter. And also for the Grey Junglefowl hybrids that are still young, since pure Grey Junglefowl are better off eating rice than corn.
    Any feedback would be great.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

We don't use bran but do feed them cooked brown rice. They love it and it's a healthful grain.
  3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    for horses. never thought about it for chickens. don't know why not.
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

i think that's what my mom used back in china.
  5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like a great idea.....don't see why not.........I feed them brown rice..........might try it now.
  6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:That is correct, my wife is from China and we feed our chickens mostly steamed rice, you can add rice bran, ground flax seed, we will also add some crumble and DE.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Interesting thought. Feed it to horses all the time...bet my goats would like it, too! It's just so dern expensive...
  8. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Rice hulls will also be fine to use and less expensive, especially if your near agriculture area where rice is grown.
  9. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Cheaper than layer pellets here. Only about $9.50 for fifty pounds.
  10. Indianroosta

Indianroosta Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2018
    Hai I am new to chicken growing, but my parents said they used to mix the rice water that comes after boiling the rice, with rice bran. Try to make it thick as possible. The rice water is added in to avoid the rice bran dust from sprinkling around, also it has good nutritional value.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by