Rice hulls?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ErinRN, Mar 16, 2007.

1. ErinRN

ErinRN New Egg

Feb 3, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Are they good for nesting or what? [​IMG] I got some at the feed store today and cleaned out my nesting boxes and used rice hulls. Nice and soft! Anyone ever used them? I did a search and couldn't find anything on them. Maybe I didn't look in the right place. Any suggestions?

ErinRN

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hey Erin....I am in SE Indiana.....where abouts are you? I am near Seymour. Not sure on the rice hulls...never seen them talked about on here. What do you have in your flock?

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:My wife has mention to me that in some countries they will use rice hulls as feed for chickens but it must be ground. Dehulled rice that retains the bran coating is sometimes used as feed. Usually ground and sold as "rice meal", it can be fed to all types of animals; it is superior to rough rice as it contains less fibre and silica, and it is richer in protein and vitamins than polished rice. It will resemble flour from what she tells me.

4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We feed our chickens mostly steamed rice along with vegetables, plus they free range on grass which looks great in comparison to the last couple of weeks, it just shows you what 80 degree temperatures can do, my wife will tell me grains and chicken scratch make chickens too fat.

5. TheBrilliantHen

TheBrilliantHen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    I've seen rice hulls recommended on a few sites for bedding.

6. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    ErinRN,
    I am also an erin and an RN! I assume that is what your RN stands for? Or is it something chicken related?[​IMG]

7. ErinRN

ErinRN New Egg

Feb 3, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Morning all,

I found rice hull and cotton hulls at little grainery here. Yes RN stands for registered nurse. I am a labor and delivery nurse at a wonderful hospital. SW Indiana - I am about 30 miles north of Evansville. I had to work over the weekend and haven't checked on my hulls I put in the coop on Friday. I will check today and let you know how it is going.

ErinRN

8. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    I am a medical/tele nurse. I plan on transferring eventually to the maternity ward or ICU. Not sure yet .
    Where do you get rice and corn hulls and are they inexpensive? Erin M

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by