Rice Pilaf

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KenK, May 20, 2011.

1. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    A couple nights ago I made a really delicious and rich rice pilaf with Basmati rice, butter and homemade chicken stock. Ate the leftovers for lunch today except for a couple tablespoons. Just now fed it to the chickens.

They were doing back flips to get it. A couple of the really skittish ones let me get a hand on them while they were pecking the rice out of the other hand. The slightly tamer ones wouldn't even stop pecking when I lifted them up.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Rice is like candy to them!! Yum, they say!! [​IMG]

3. idispatch4911

idispatch4911 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I cant wait until my chickies eat up the leftovers from twin toddlers that are picky!

4. Bram

Bram Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Southeastern Illinois
    My girls get rice every moring. I buy big (20#) bags of rice, cook up some in my rice cooker for the week. Each morning I microwave a container, just fro ease of getting it out of the container, and they scramble to eat up 2 cups of cooked rice in about 5 minutes time! They love it! I've read that it isn't supposed to have much nutritional value, but probably much of what they eat is that way.

5. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Mine go nut for left over risotto.
    The small amount of onions and reduced wine has no effect on egg flavour.
    But then risotto is a small and rare treat so not likely to effect flavour anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by