rice sized worms in poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gwen Big Fat Hen, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Gwen Big Fat Hen

Gwen Big Fat Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gainesville, Ga
    I've looked all over then internet looking for info on small rice like parasites in chicken poop. HELP

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    it may be tapeworm segments... can you get a pic?.. I know gross [​IMG]

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Maybe I'm wrong but I am thinking a worm is a worm is a worm -- I would treat your hens for worms.

Jenny

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Howdy! Proglottids are surely a sight to see! Google chicken tapeworms and you'll find a wealth of information.

5. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:you are kinda right...lol

there are a few wormers that will not work on a tape worm they tend to be more difficult then a round worm

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  6. Gwen Big Fat Hen

Jul 15, 2010
    Gainesville, Ga
    I've seen tapeworm segments in my dogs poop before.... THEY DIDNT MOVE!!!! Theses are very tiny, and , Of course, GROSS. They had diarrhea so, at the advice of the feed store, put them on an antibotic. Diarrhea got better, then came back. Now, I find these nasty little rice-like magots!!! All the tapeworm photos in chichens show adult worms and not the segments?? We started with 4 baby chicks, when 3 were snatched by god only knows what, the 1 was lonely so my husband got 2 more from a fleamarket. I think the 2 new ones were just never healthy to begin with [​IMG] and brought whatever this is to our now family pet, Gwen!!
    I'll try to take a picture of the poop and get it upload......... Never thought I'd say that!!! HA

7. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    this is so gross but if you get a tape worm segment that is [​IMG] fresh [​IMG] [​IMG] it will move

my cat is always fighting tapeworms he wont stop eating mice but thats a different story lol

I have found moving tapeworm segments on his butt and on my bed [​IMG] (cat is no longer allowed in ANY bedrooms

he now gets a shot at the vet every 6 months to prevent...

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Fresh proglottids do move especially in warm humid weather. Take a sample to your vet where he or she (or tech) will do a microscopic inspection. Crushing the proglottid releases the eggs and a trained professional should be able to identify the species. Tapeworms usually do require a different medication to kill the entire worm.

9. Gwen Big Fat Hen

Jul 15, 2010
    Gainesville, Ga
    hmm, not sure how to post a picture, can u help me with that too? [​IMG]
    i figured out how to upload an image.... now i need to figure out how to change the date on my camera!![​IMG]

10. Gwen Big Fat Hen

Jul 15, 2010
    Gainesville, Ga
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by