Rich Earth brand of DE

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by southernsibe, May 5, 2008.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    I can actually get this brand at my feed store. When I called and spoke with the lady that works there, she said it was approved for use on plants and animals. However there was no mention of "food grade" or use for hmans. Does that mean it is not acceptable? The brand is Rich Earth.

Thanks
    Rachel

2. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    It has to say "food grade", if it dont, dont use it! I sell PermaGuard food grade with less than one half of one percent crystalline silica if you cant verify that what you have is food grade!

3. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    That is what I thought regarding it being labeled as food grade. This is the only information I have been able to find on this brand http://www.richearth.net/index.html

It
    is owned by a company named New Century located in Norfolk. I've never heard of it and lived in Norfolk for about 15 years. From what the site says, it doesn't even look like it is DE! I guess I am going to have to drive up to the feed store to look at it, because I'm just not convinced it is what it needs to be.

4. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    After looking at their site I believe they are selling a soil conditioner only. Nowhere is diatomaceous earth mentioned and that is what DE is. If you are just looking for a soil conditioner, go for it!

5. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Taking a break

Mar 3, 2008
    I'm having the same issues confirming if the Carl Pool / Vital Earth brand of DE is food grade. ON the website, it says it's "not harmful" to chickens or earthworms (good, since I have both).

6. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    write down info off the sack and call the company and ask .
    The brand i got didn't say food grade either so i called the company that made it and they said that it was food grade.
    so far i have not had any problems with it.

7. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Fivebig...after reading all the posts in BYC re people not knowing what they sell, you are a very trusting person. I would think that it would say something on the bag about being food grade as it is one of its biggest selling points. Taking someones word on the phone is risky to me.

8. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    red lake earth is NOT food grade (100%) it's feed grade(65%) big diff won't do a thing for bugs, it for anti-caking
    ooh sorry you said rich earth

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  9. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I think you are a bit confused. Food grade and feed grade are most likely one and the same - pool grade, for the lack of a better word or non-food grade DE is the harmful stuff.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Just for the record. Carl Pool's Earth Safe DE is indeed food grade, even though it doesn't say that on the label. I called the company to find out. They sent me an e-mail fact sheet to back it up. I think the confusion starts with the word "pool" on the label, but it's not for use in pools.
    I've used it for my chickens for several weeks now without any problem at all. I suggest anyone that isn't sure call the company. And also BTW, the instruction sheet on the INSIDE of the package gives more information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by