Rickets! Please help!

SilkieLover1213

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 2, 2012
RICKETS! Please help
Ok, so I recently posted a thread asking for help with a myster sickness. Just found out its rickets. My 1 month old chick has too much a duly feed so she now has rickets. We are doing everything for her and are trying so hard to keep her alive. She's been sick for about 3 days. We just got vitamin d3

This kind
So we put her in chick feed and give her vitamin d3 in her water. I need tips, cures, advice, anything! PLEASE!!!!!!!
Thank you so much!

I'm so sorry to hear that. Yes, calcium and vitamin D3 therapy will help her a lot! Make sure there the right dosages so she doesn't get too much. Healthy foods to offer include scrambled eggs or ground up fried eggs with the shell. Make sure she keeps her muscle mass but doesn't injure her brittle bones. Try not to let her grow too fast, this will make her more likely to hurt her delicate bones right now. Keep her warm and on a soft surface. Don't let her jump or fly around.

I really hope she gets strong soon!

It's actually too much calcium has caused it this time from the layer feed so don't increase that as well whatever you do! Rickets is often from not enough calcium so that is generally the cure as mentioned above but it can also be caused by too much which is what happened here because it was put on layer feed at just a few weeks old. Don't give her calcium foods like the egg shells.

Last edited:
It's actually too much calcium has caused it this time from the layer feed so don't increase that as well whatever you do! Rickets is often from not enough calcium so that is generally the cure as mentioned above but it can also be caused by too much which is what happened here because it was put on layer feed at just a few weeks old. Don't give her calcium foods like the egg shells.

Thanks for correcting that. I wouldn't want to make things worse.
smile.png

Ok. Thank you both. She is really skinny and doesn't haven't almost any fat. Is there anything I can do to get her a little chubbier?

Last edited:
A constant supply of chick food, meal worms, corn, scrambled eggs, bird seed mix, you can try it all. As long as she eats a lot of it these foods should help her gain weight.

Update:
She seems a little better! She can support herself more on her legs, still not enough to fully stand though. She's getting lots of sun, food, water, vitamins, etc. she's not gasping as much, so think her bones might be a little stronger. If anyone has tips or anything I would love to hear them.

you can give her some cod liver canned or fresh,it is an excellent source of vitamin D, vitamin B6, B12, and essential oils such as omega 3 and minerals it needs. Such as phosphorus, potassium, and selenium.
Good luck
Benny

Okay. I'm not seeing any improvements in her. She's eating and drinking normally and getting cod liver and d3. Could it be a calcium defiencieny? Nothing's happening with her and she's kinda suffering now.

Back
Top Bottom