Rid of my first 6 roosters...

todtrac

Songster
10 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Pittsburgh
Well, I raised my nine birds from eggs and I hatched out eight roosters, one died month ago but the other seven started attacking each other just recently. I supposed it was due to being stuck in the coop for the last week due to fridgid weather. Anyway, I sold six today... wasn't sure about it because when he called he said that he was going to use the feathers for fly tying and to freeze them to eat later... didn't like this at all, but realized the circle of life... Since they left, I actually feel better with the whole thing, my other two hens will be relieved and my main rooster is king again... I just want to say, it is alright to sell your birds for meat... it wasn't that hard:/

thumbsup.gif

I know that many dread this decision, but I have found once done, it is not that hard, and your flock is happier. Someone wrote on here that they felt it was 'mean' to process roos, but I think it is mature and responsible. In traditional farming, females are kept for their ability to produce young, whether you are talking about chickens or goats or cows. The males are for eating.

It is the circle of life.

MrsK

Back
Top Bottom