1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rid of my first 6 roosters...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by todtrac, Dec 18, 2010.

1. todtrac

todtrac Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Well, I raised my nine birds from eggs and I hatched out eight roosters, one died month ago but the other seven started attacking each other just recently. I supposed it was due to being stuck in the coop for the last week due to fridgid weather. Anyway, I sold six today... wasn't sure about it because when he called he said that he was going to use the feathers for fly tying and to freeze them to eat later... didn't like this at all, but realized the circle of life... Since they left, I actually feel better with the whole thing, my other two hens will be relieved and my main rooster is king again... I just want to say, it is alright to sell your birds for meat... it wasn't that hard:/

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    [​IMG]

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    good for you!!! I wish I could be so lucky-I wind up processing almost all of mine:-(

4. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Quote:In my book... You're the "lucky" one [​IMG]

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    good choice. Keeping too many roos can be veery detrimental to the flock and they can damage eachother.

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I know that many dread this decision, but I have found once done, it is not that hard, and your flock is happier. Someone wrote on here that they felt it was 'mean' to process roos, but I think it is mature and responsible. In traditional farming, females are kept for their ability to produce young, whether you are talking about chickens or goats or cows. The males are for eating.

It is the circle of life.

MrsK

7. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    Yes, it does make you and the flock less stressed when the extra roos are gone, in whichever manner they go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by