Ridding of Chicken Lice

chickengirl2020

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2021
Hello there!
I am a new member, and I am excited to learn a lot about chickens from the experts in this group:)
We have had our chickens for about two years now, and the first year was pretty easy. This year, though, we have had a few things in a row that I had to deal with.
The most recent issue is what I think is chicken lice (small elongated light brown-yellowish creatures). I have read a bunch online and found some good tips, but some are contradictory. So, I decided to join this group to see what you guys have to say.

I try my best not to use chemicals of any sort. I was originally going to use permethrin powder, but then read the warnings (don't use in wet weather, don't use near garden, don't inhale, etc.) and decided to stick to homemade sprays. I made a garlic spray for chickens and an oil-soap-and water spray for the coop. I removed all the roosting boxes for now, along with the straw that was on the floor. I sprayed the coop with water and then applied the spray when it dried off. I also sprayed the chickens in the neck, vent, and wing areas.

So, here are my questions:
1-How often do I need to spray both chickens and the coop?
2-How do I know the parasites are completely gone so I can put the straw back on the floor. It is chilly here in winter.
3-Where should the chickens lay eggs now since there is nothing warm and soft inside the coop (granted, the egg production has decreased significantly)?
4-Will my chickens get cold without the bedding on the coop floor?

Thanks a lot!

So, here are my questions:
1-How often do I need to spray both chickens and the coop?
2-How do I know the parasites are completely gone so I can put the straw back on the floor. It is chilly here in winter.
3-Where should the chickens lay eggs now since there is nothing warm and soft inside the coop (granted, the egg production has decreased significantly)?
4-Will my chickens get cold without the bedding on the coop floor?
I was originally going to use permethrin powder, but then read the warnings (don't use in wet weather, don't use near garden, don't inhale, etc.)

I commend you for not wanting to go with a more natural approach, but with to get rid an infestation it's best to use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust. Some folk use Spinosad (Elector PSP).

Permethrin dust or spray is commonly used in gardens to help control bugs, so I'm not sure what product you were looking at? Do you have a link?

Treat housing and birds in 7 days intervals when using Permethrin spray or dust. As for when to put straw back in, you can put a small amount in now to make accomodations more comfortable, just take it out when re-treating housing and dispose of it. Either throw it in the trash or burn it if there's a heavy infestation of bugs.

I wish I could be more positive about home remedies, they may help deter lice/mites, but once there's an active infestation, then using an insecticide is going to the the most effective treatment.

61bI-WmQjzL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
91+EU1dNkRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I had multiple lice infestations last year (thanks wild birds!) and tried a homemade spray and also a bath. Both treatments only kill the existing lice and need to be repeated every 7 days to kill the newly hatched lice. Since it is winter where you are, you will need to be careful about getting your chickens wet in cold weather.

After the 3rd bout of lice, I went with the permethrin dust and it worked much better. Since it’s not a liquid it didn’t make them too cold and it was easy to apply. I re-applied one time after 7 days and then rechecked periodically after that. You can dust your nest boxes and bedding also.

The thing about permethrin is that it’s harmful to cats and to bees and other beneficial insects (obviously) but if you are thoughtful about where and when to apply it, it can be a big help.

You may have confused DE (diatomaceous earth) with permethrin dust. DE is not helpful for an outbreak if lice, is rendered useless when wet, and is an irritant to eyes and breathing. Permethrin garden dust, which is available at most feed stores and the permethrin 10 concentrate mixed with water to use in a garden sprayer are very good against lice and mites, but I would not use them if I raised bees. Cats are safe as long as they don’t hang out in the coop.

I think that once you treat all birds with the dust and remove all bedding, you could get by with adding new bedding. Check skin every 10 days, and retreat chickens if needed. The Martins or Gordons permethrin 10 that TSC sells is mixed 1:200 with water, and an 8 ounce container, about $8, is very cost effective to spray the coop, nest boxes and roosts. The dust is best to use on chickens in cold weather, but the spray can be used in warm weather, about 15 ml per chicken.

I commend you for not wanting to go with a more natural approach, but with to get rid an infestation it's best to use a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust. Some folk use Spinosad (Elector PSP).

Permethrin dust or spray is commonly used in gardens to help control bugs, so I'm not sure what product you were looking at? Do you have a link?

Treat housing and birds in 7 days intervals when using Permethrin spray or dust. As for when to put straw back in, you can put a small amount in now to make accomodations more comfortable, just take it out when re-treating housing and dispose of it. Either throw it in the trash or burn it if there's a heavy infestation of bugs.

I wish I could be more positive about home remedies, they may help deter lice/mites, but once there's an active infestation, then using an insecticide is going to the the most effective treatment.

61bI-WmQjzL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
91+EU1dNkRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Thank you! I actually bought the powder on the left. I have read a lot about Permethrin at this point, but warnings on the label worried me a bit: it says do not apply in the rain, do not water the treated area, change and wash clothes separately afterwards, harmful if absorbed through skin, to protect the environment do not allow for it to run off, etc. But things (and animals ) do get wet here sometimes. And what happens to the powder after it stays on the ground or on the coop's floor after the treatment? How do I clean it up and make sure it doesn't run off with rain or snow and that no one inhales it?

I wish there was something natural that worked. I have used Sevin dust for about 14 years with no problems and it worked very well with one powdering, and sometimes 2 powderings about 5 days apart. I usually powder the nest boxes at the same time.
Thank you! I wish so, to...
Do you powder the chickens as well or only the next boxes? Does it affect the eggs?

You may have confused DE (diatomaceous earth) with permethrin dust. DE is not helpful for an outbreak if lice, is rendered useless when wet, and is an irritant to eyes and breathing. Permethrin garden dust, which is available at most feed stores and the permethrin 10 concentrate mixed with water to use in a garden sprayer are very good against lice and mites, but I would not use them if I raised bees. Cats are safe as long as they don’t hang out in the coop.

I think that once you treat all birds with the dust and remove all bedding, you could get by with adding new bedding. Check skin every 10 days, and retreat chickens if needed. The Martins or Gordons permethrin 10 that TSC sells is mixed 1:200 with water, and an 8 ounce container, about $8, is very cost effective to spray the coop, nest boxes and roosts. The dust is best to use on chickens in cold weather, but the spray can be used in warm weather, about 15 ml per chicken.
Thank you! Yes, I agree about using dust in colder months. I have researched that Permethrin is better than DE, but then warnings on the Permethrin container (powder) that I bought puzzled me as I thought it was a very safe and rather natural thing to use. Why does it say to not let it run off with water for environmental safety? And how do I dispose of it when used in a dust bath outside and in the coop? What if chickens eat it from the ground? Sorry for all these questions. I want to help my girls out, but don't want to harm them or anyone else.

I had multiple lice infestations last year (thanks wild birds!) and tried a homemade spray and also a bath. Both treatments only kill the existing lice and need to be repeated every 7 days to kill the newly hatched lice. Since it is winter where you are, you will need to be careful about getting your chickens wet in cold weather.

After the 3rd bout of lice, I went with the permethrin dust and it worked much better. Since it’s not a liquid it didn’t make them too cold and it was easy to apply. I re-applied one time after 7 days and then rechecked periodically after that. You can dust your nest boxes and bedding also.

The thing about permethrin is that it’s harmful to cats and to bees and other beneficial insects (obviously) but if you are thoughtful about where and when to apply it, it can be a big help.
Thanks a lot! This is our first experience with lice. I am thinking of making a dust bath with Permethrin outside and dusting the coop floor on the perimeter. How did you clean it up after done using?

Back
Top Bottom