1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ridged Eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hulson, Apr 26, 2016.

1. hulson

hulson Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    My two year old hen is laying hard shelled eggs, but with ridges around it. The ridges are getting more pronounced and deeper. She is on a premium diet and has a bowl of oyster shell always available. Again, the shells are not soft; they are very hard.

[​IMG]

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  3. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    We have a hen who lays corrugated eggs. Probably 4 every week, at a minimum, have the wrinkling or repair banding. Sometimes i think it is stress, because they get more pronounced. But for her, i think it's primarily just something in her anatomy. She's incredibly healthy, active, feathers look good, consistent layer. They eat well and forage like they're feral :) If the hen seems healthy and well, isn't being over mated or stressed throughout the day, has access to good food, it can just be how her insides work.

4. hulson

hulson Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    Thank you so much. I liked that article and am printing it off. You may have shed some insight though when you said over mated. My rooster has a favorite hen and she has lost most of her back feathers from him. I have tried separating her and she gets upset, an apron on her and she walks around trying to get it off and acting like she is hurt. I don't know what else to do. Thank you for your help though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by