Ridgway Hatchery Ohio Araucanas

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Beer can, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Saw Araucana pullets on a order form at our local feed store. I've bought RIRs years ago through them and they were excellent birds, heavy layers. Now I see Araucana pullets on their order form, they are labeled as rumples, no tail, ear tufts $2.75ea and no cost for shipping. I've always heard no hatchery's carry Araucanas so I asked them where they get their chicks from. I'm surprised they told me, they said Ridgway. Anybody ever have any experience with Ridgway Hatchery Araucanas? Are they the real deal? Or Easter Eggers?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Check out ridgwayhatchery.com. On their site they say nothing about the birds being rumples and tufted - "Some may have whiskers and ear feathers". Not saying they are not Araucanas, but I am dubious.

3. Beer can

Beer can Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Read that, has me a little skeptical, maybe our feed store order form has it wrong? Couldn't find any posts searching BYC, but a google search found a couple comments, two different people on BYC calling them EEgrs [​IMG]
    I was going to order them and hope for the best, but until someone tells me for sure they are the real deal I'm not going to, I don't need any more EEgrs. Just want a couple blue egg layers.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    hinckjcpoultry.com has true araucanas. Check out their website. They have a great reputation and are located in Pa. - not all that far a drive from upstate NY.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by