1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ridiculous Broodies...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Nano9910, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Nano9910

Nano9910 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    A month ago one of my EE hens hatched a nice batch of 4 chicks ( from 4 eggs, go EE!) a week before another hen (Jersey Giant cross) hatched out her chick. Only one egg of 10 hatched, poor gal. So she makes up for it by adopting the other hen's chicks... And the first mother just left her to it. So now I had a mother with 5 chicks, most not her own, and add in 3 other chicks I had been quarantining. It was mid day, mealtime, when I did it and next thing you know she has 8 chicks. She's a good mother... VERY protective (and I have some ouchies to prove it) and the other hen is living life normally.[​IMG]

2. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    There's something really heartwarming about a mamma adopting babies. When you have the instinct, you have the instinct.... [​IMG]

- Kim

3. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Sounds like my gold laced bantam cochin Lydia. I think she would adopt an ostrich if you gave it to her!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My avatar bantam Cochin, Goldie will adopt anything! It is always fun when she leads a "posse" of 4 week old chicks around- and they're all bigger then her by half! [​IMG]

5. KaitlynChick55

KaitlynChick55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    Haha! How cute!

6. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    That is so adorable and like RGBistro said, heartwarming..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by