Ridiculous question but...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Halie Dawn, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Halie Dawn

Halie Dawn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    If you held a stethoscope up to an egg, could you hear a heart beat or something to signify that the chick/duckling inside is alive or dead? It's day 29 for my pekin egg, still no piping or anything. I decided to quickly put a stethoscope up to the egg to see if I could hear anything that would let me know if it was alive or not and I heard nothing. I think it may be a late death, I don't know, sorry I'm acting kind of neurotic.

I know I should give it more time, and I'm going out of town tomorrow (leaving the egg with a pet sitter) and I'll be back in three days, so I guess by then if it doesn't hatch it's safe to say it died? Should I ask the sitter to candle the egg to see if it pips?

Man, I miss the little moving blob inside of the egg. [​IMG]

2. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    No its not neurotic, it actually is a brilliant idea, but the stethescope does not cover the whole surface area, would that matter. Well mine is out and about so can't check my egg anyways..good luck though.

Have you listened to the other good eggs??

3. Halie Dawn

Halie Dawn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    I only have one egg. I found it in my neighbor's backyard, it was just left in the middle of the lawn by the mama duck, along with some other eggs placed randomly around the neighborhood (all near the lake, but in different backyards).
    I took one egg, and my neighbor took another (I should see if his egg hatched) but yeah, I only have one egg.

4. alabama girl

alabama girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Auburn, Al
    I just threw away my two silkie eggs, that I was planning on giving some more time to. I candled them and saw how still they were so I gave up, you are only on day 29, I hope it hatches tomorrow or tonight for you. Hang in there [​IMG]

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Don't know if a stethoscope works on eggs-- but, it would sure be awesome if it did!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by