Ridiculously aggressive hen. NEED HELP!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lesabell, Sep 29, 2012.

1. lesabell

lesabell New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    North Eastern Indiana
    I have a 1 and a half year old rhode island red along with 5 others and 2 yet older new hampshires. Last spring i got 6 chicks and have had them separated from the others by chicken wire and a run while the others free ranged. Within the past month or so we have merged the two groups. At first things were normal with minimal pecking to establish order. More recently one of the Rhode Islands (whome we call Goose) has taken a fancy to my young white plymouth rock. She stands on top of her and pins her down while pecking and tearing at her head and neck. So far she has ripped off a chunk of an ear lobe, torn her comb and now took an almost 2 inch chunk out of the back of her neck feathers and all. My poor white plymouth rock is a white bloody mess. I have tried putting Goose in a cage with food and water for 3 days and she is more aggressive than ever. Today she attacked 3 of the younger girls one after another on a rampage. Im out of things to do. I need help now!! [​IMG]

2. kitmarlowescot2

kitmarlowescot2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    How much square feet do you have per a chicken ? That could be stressing her out.

3. iFairyx

iFairyx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    England
    Sounds like she is a nasty piece of work :(

Is it possible to introduce a cockerel to the flock? We had a hen who wasn't the best hen in the world,
    but putting a cockerel in with them stopped the whole pecking order and 'top hen'.

Other then that I think you may have to consider rehoming her to another flock, maybe if shes the new bird
    then she'll calm down? I think their behaviour can be hard to break, I've read a few things online about nasty
    cockerels..... but not so much about a bad hen.

Good'luck
    iFairy x

1 person likes this.
  4. lesabell

lesabell New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    North Eastern Indiana
    They have 6 acres to roam on.. The only time they are "cooped up" are when they go in for the night and then they have about 2-3 sq ft per chicken. They are really calm in there too.

5. lesabell

lesabell New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    North Eastern Indiana
    I will definitely think about that! Thank you :)

6. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    You could put a pinless peeper on her. They just snap into the nostrils on her beak and prevent her from seeing what's right in front of her and can work really well and immediate. I've resorted two putting these on two hens at different times and they totally worked. I think they are kind of cruel. But less cruel than watching a poor hen get beat up or putting the bully down.

1 person likes this.
  7. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she tame towards you, because you could try and give her more affection and cuddles, but otherwise i think a rooster or a rehome is on the cards.
    Good Luck, i hope everything works out! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. lesabell

lesabell New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    North Eastern Indiana
    She never comes towards me otherwise that's what i would try. All of the others flock right up to me. But today I did something that i kind of feel bad for. When I let them all out this morning, the first thing she did was chase after the younger girls trying to jump on them and rip out their feathers. As she was chasing them i grabbed a small rock and pelted it at her out of instinct trying to get her to stop. It worked. She just stopped and stared at me then carried on with normal chicken business. I'm hoping it sticks. Not saying that I'm proud to have thrown a rock at one of my girls but I'd rather she not pick on the others.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I carry a long stick like a staff when I have one that might do that. I call it "The Staff of God" because by golly, you better mind it! DO knock her off the poor thing! If she were mine, and kept it up like that one, it wouldn't be here any more. But then that would be after the Staff treatment failed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by