Riding a bike................

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Wildsky, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    OK, I'm trying my best to teach my son to ride a bike, we took off the training wheels today, he's hardly ever ridden a bike, we used to live in a large city and it just never happened.

SO now I'm trying to teach him and need some tips - PLEASE.....
    I spent hours outside with him today, my back hurts (it was bad to start off with) but I need HELP!!!!!!!!!

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    get him a dirt bike and let him go lol

3. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Put a helmut on him and elbow and knee pads. Walk/run along side him holding on until you feel him get his balance. Then turn him loose, preferably not down hill.

I didn't get the pads or helmut, but that was a different time in history. I got several on bikes that way. Oh !!.......... dont let him know you turned loose stay close for a few minutes ...........if you can LOL!

Randy

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Thats exactly how I learned how to ride.
    I was riding unassisted for about 5 minutes before I knew it!

5. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    wheere were you when I was learning, we took the bike to top of the hill and you learned how to balance or you fell, it was grass, sut still no parent running along beside me.And if you didn't learn to steer you had to get the bike out of the ditch. [​IMG]

6. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:I was probably sitting on the next hill LMAO !! [​IMG]

7. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    Id go with the dirt bike idea. Who wants to pedal anyway. It would be a lot easier on your back.[​IMG]

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]
    He's using my horse riding helmet - no pads or anything, he can't even get going yet - so no running along side - unless I'm holding the back of the seat to balance him, I'm not sure if that does any good, if I'm helping like that.
    He just manages to get a second foot on the peddle and then loses balance - its probably a trial and error thing, and he should just keep trying and trying, but I wish I could give him some suggestions - I have forgotten how I was taught, probably pushed downhill without helmet or anything! [​IMG]

9. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well....when I was trying to teach my youngest daughter to ride a bike,,,,it didnt go so well.she got so mad,told me to go away........ I did.and gladly.............she taught herself out of sheer anger [​IMG] might try to make him mad [​IMG] well......sorry but it worked for us...........both of us were getting mean haha...........OH I miss those days........

10. Royicus

Royicus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Hmm, how did I learn...

I had training wheels that kind of touched the ground all the time, then they got raised up over time. Eventually, I asked my parents to just take the dang things off because I couldn't turn has hard as I wanted to. And whaddyaknow, I was riding on two wheels!

Parent's never ran beside me or anything like that. That's how I'd go about it. It worked well for me.

Best of luck! I remember the feeling of accomplishment when I was riding on two wheels just like all the big kids!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by