Riding attire

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickengal505, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Hi guys, as very few of you may know I'll be re-starting riding lessons in a few days-weeks. But I'm at a loss as to where to order my attire... I need a helmet (outgrew mine), a girth strap (for my crappy old western saddle), maybie a pair of boots (might still fit my cowboy boots [​IMG] )... where do you get your stuff? It doesn't need to be way out there in price. I've done a few google searches and one place wanted over $300 for a helmet [​IMG] I cant go that high... maybie second hand would be my best bet... [​IMG]

-Thanks, Holly

2. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    No one?

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    I bought tack, clothing, and helmet at my local tack shop.

I wouldn't buy a used helmet since you won't REALLY know if it had been involved in a fall based on external appearance.

If you're not in a hurry, then look on Ebay or online tack store.

Good luck and great for you getting back into riding.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I bought a nice Tipperary helmet from a warehouse tack store for about $50 back when I was in high school. It has all the certifications needed for showing and what not, looks nice, and is way more comfy than any other helmet I've ever had. This helmet is similar, but I bought mine in green. Looks like there are a few different styles. It is an eventing helmet, but has served me well in trail riding and western. It's light weight and I reallylike the coverage. You should probably go to a tack store and try them on though. It's important that it fits your head.

Here is an example:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/tippe....aspx?cm_mmc=paidfeeds-_-froogle-_-NA-_-14850

If you are taking lessons at a barn, they will most likely provide you with a saddle that will fit their horse. This is important. Unfortunately that means your old saddle may not be useable for every horse you ride. Before purchasing a girth, I would check with your instructor to see if they have a saddle for you to use or if your saddle will fit the lesson horse. As far as boots go, these will probably be your most expensive if you go with real leather boots. Ariat has some really nice lace up styles, as well as slip ons. However, you don't need to spend a ton of money on boots. You just need somehting with a heel so your foot doesn't slip through the stirrup. Workboots work well. Just be sure you DO NOT buy steel toe! If a horse steps on a steel toe boot, it can bend the metal and sever your toes. You should be able to buy a nice pair of work/hiking boots at walmart or a similar store for $30-$50.

Good luck! Let me know if you have other questions.

5. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Well my lessons are going to be "self taught" so to speak [​IMG] Thats why I need My own tack... I've found a helmet (new) on ebay for $52.94, and Boots on Amazon for $12.48 which brings my total (so far) to $65.42. Looking for some good fly guards now.... I don't like the idea of getting used hats, helmets, ect. because of lice and such [​IMG] I'll be riding my uncles horse's and we've checked the saddle, it fits my gelding perfectly [​IMG] Why am I so temped to buy him a pink poka dotted halter? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
  7. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I took a bad fall in a Troxel...can't remember which version of it. Anyways, I ended up with a nice DENT in the helmet where my head bounced off the dirt road......but survived with no head injures [​IMG] Can't beat a good helmet. I went out and immediately bought a brand new helmet that was the same exact thing. Saved my noggin once!

8. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    www.horse.com is where we buy most of our stuff if we're going to order.

Troxel is the type of helmet that I used. I still have it, but don't use it. It's something I probably should use, since I do contesting.. [​IMG]
    If I had been wearing it the one time I fell I probably wouldn't have had to get those staples in the back of my head. [​IMG]

ETA: If you'd like we have some stuff that we wouldn't mind selling. PM me if you'd like so we can talk about what you need/how much. I rode in western and english, but now I only do contesting, so we've got lots of stuff that could go.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  9. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    LCL... I LOVe YOU NOW [​IMG] Your website had fly-leg guards [​IMG] thanks everyone else too, you've been a HUGE help. I'll get pics of him all decked out as soon as his crap comes in [​IMG] I only spent... $82.41 [​IMG]

10. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I wouldn't buy a helmet online unless I had previously tried that same helmet on somewhere. You won't know if it will fit your head properly until you've tried it on. I tried on quite a few different helmets before I found one that I really liked and didn't give me a headache or flop around on my head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by