Riding Equipment ?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NYboy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    When I asked my 11 year old niece what she wanted for her birthday, she said riding lessons. I asked my sister who would have to chauffeur her if it was ok. My sister said as long as I buy the equipment she would need. 2 kids involved in several sports = big $ in equipment. I don't know if this is something she will enjoy and want to continue, so not looking for top of the line, but her safety does come first. What will I need to buy and what price should I be paying? Thanks

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You shouldn't really need to buy her any equipment if she is taking lessons at a barn. They will provide saddles, and most have helmets as well. After taking a few lessons to make sure we wanted to continue, we bought our helmets. If she is going to take english lessons, she may want to get some riding pants, but that is not necessary to begin with. Jeans should be fine but you could always call the barn you are looking at getting them lessons and ask.

3. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I would suggest boots with a heel, a proper fitting, ASTM approved helmet (some stables may be able to provide that), and riding breeches or tights (if doing English or Dressage). You could also buy gloves, but at this point these may not be needed.

Other than that, there should be no need to purchase a saddle, bridle or any other equipment--these should be provided by the riding stable.

A couple of online sources are Dover Saddlery and Smartpak. I don't know about prices. Just buy what you can afford and good luck. [​IMG]

4. critterrun

critterrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    NJ
    A HELMET

there are a lot of places to get a good one

becareful of used
    you do not know if they had a fall

you should never use one that had a fall
    not a bump but a true fall that hit the head area

if english riding pants make it better EBAY !!! 4-H
    if you want places to buy from
    PM me and I will give you a list

GOOD LUCK

Debbie in NJ
    too many horses [​IMG]

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'd call trainers in the area and see what they want you to bring. Call around, price...ask the trainers! They're more than happy to help you with this!

I know that I did nothing in particular, but I rode western. I had some worn out jeans, boots with a heel and a comfy shirt for those lovely 110* days.

I probably should have had a helmet, but...live and learn.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:x2. I didn't buy my daughter any equipment to begin with, because I didn't want to outlay a ton only to have her decide after a few lessons that she didn't like it as much as she thought she would. She rode in jeans and the barn provided helmets. After her initial course of 10 lessons she was hooked so we got her a helmet. After her next set of 10 lessons we enrolled her in a week-long summer camp for riders, and after a whole day in the saddle wearing jeans she had rub sores and we went to get her a pair of breeches and a pair of half chaps to wear for the rest of the week. To this day she doesn't wear gloves to ride (neither do I, except on the coldest of winter days. I feel they interfere with my ability to feel the reins and contact with the horse's mouth). Eventually she got her own horse and along with that tack. But that is way down the road for you. If you niece just wants a few lessons to see how she likes it, you are probably all set. (Depending on her age and whether head lice are likely to be an issue you might consider getting her her own helmet so she doesn't have to wear a barn helmet but it should be a personal choice.)

7. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    Well first off she will need a helment, I have only done western lessons with my kids because that is what i ride but when i choose a stable for lesson i ask a head of time what they supply and what my kids will need.(a good friend use to teach my kids because my horses were never sound enough, but we moved out of state so i am looking for a new place). My oldest step-daughter has stopped riding she was 12 when she stopped and she was the odd ball in the family and rode english. I do have english tall riding boots in great shape I bought them for 250.00 dollars and would be will to part with them for $75, as of right now though don't worry about show clothing because she is just starting buy her spandex as if she rides english that is what there pants are most like if she rides western have a nice sturdy boot with a small heel. And also when you go to look for riding lessons make sure they have a steady beginner horse that is great with kids. also an indoor ring and ask them if it is just riding or if they teach the children about care and respect for a horse as that is important also. If you need any help pm,

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I forgot about boots, but that's because I had them since I was big enough to wear shoes! LOL Really, any shoe with a heel would be fine. Workboots or hiking boots also work well.

9. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Except no boots with a steel toe.. if they even make those in her size. I've heard it's not fun to have steel pried from your flesh [​IMG]

Some instructors I had as a little kid were pretty picky about the boots. They were in charge of the kids safety so they chose what we wore. They wanted boots with 1/2 inch heels and a smooth sole, no tread, so there was no chance of the tread getting stuck in the stirrups. No point in buying boots they won't let the kid wear. It's also important that they be well fitting and comfortable for her. It's not fun to ride if you're uncomfortable.

Boots and a helmet, thats all she needs.

It's up to you what discipline you decide on for the lessons... but I think western is a better discipline for kids to start in.

TRULY no offense to anyone intended, as an adult I prefer and ride sort-of english style. I just remeber when I was a kid the contrast between the two lesson types, as my parents alternated. The english instructors were very focused on everything being very "correct" from the start, and it can be fustrating for kids, especially beginners. The western lessons I got were much more relaxed, plenty of barking at us still, but we had the chance to enjoy being on the horses a little more. Of course it just depends on the barns and the instructors. Try to pick the folks who are the most relaxed and the most safety orientated. Make sure it's an instructor who has regular students. Maybe you can ask to watch a lesson being given before you decide, so you can evaluate their teaching style. It's not one-size-fits-all and you should take the childs personality type into account when choosing an instructor [​IMG]

10. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    Quote:Why should it not be the child's decision about what discipline to train? If she wants riding lessons, presumably she's got an idea about what she wants to do. Granted, it took me nearly a week at 6 years old to decide if I wanted to jump, like in the Olympics, or barrel race. I've never regretted my decision.

As far as equipment, paddock shoes / ropers will do well for either discipline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeans go both ways also, but if she elects to ride English, half-chaps are helpful. I used to wrap my legs with ace bandages. It was pretty ghetto, but until I quit growing out of everything inside 6 months it helped my Mom keep on top of my equipment costs.

[​IMG]

And, yes, a helmet. That'll take some shopping. Get a comfy one, with adjustable padding, that's rated. They're bulky and ugly, but they'll keep her head safe.

Enjoy! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by