rifles on airplaines

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rainplace, Dec 10, 2009.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

My grandfather is giving me his old hunting rifle, and I would like to know what case you use for airplane transport. Did you go through any glitches at the airport? Should I give myself extra time?

2. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    You can call the TSA at your local airport and they will give you the particulars on shipping a rifle on a domestic flight. I know that it has to be in a metal, locking case and cannot have any ammuntion with it. You will check it with the luggage and you will have to unlock the case for the inspection and relock it in front of the TSA Officer. I believe that they put a mechanical seal of some sort on the case after inspection to prevent it from being opened.

3. rainplace

Yep, I checked both the airlines and the tsa... I know what the guidelines are, I guess I'm wondering how much money I have to spend... not only to meet their guidelines,, but to also keep it from getting beat up. Is there a particular brand? How long does it take to get through the security check?

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:no time at all. It's as easy to check as luggage. I actually fly with mine in a plastic case filled with foam ... it has 3 lock settings and I lock all three. Only thing I do is lock the case after I declare what it is, prove it isn't loaded, relock it up... I usually buy ammo in the state I travel to though. Not sure about international flights though.

5. rainplace

Quote:no time at all. It's as easy to check as luggage. I actually fly with mine in a plastic case filled with foam ... it has 3 lock settings and I lock all three. Only thing I do is lock the case after I declare what it is, prove it isn't loaded, relock it up... I usually buy ammo in the state I travel to though. Not sure about international flights though.

Boyd, what company makes the case you use?

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI

Boyd, what company makes the case you use?

I don't remember, but I got it at gander mountain. It was a 55$ range hard side case. Probably spent another 10-15 on the locks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by