1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Right butcher size for hog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CoopCrazy, Mar 30, 2009.

1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    My folks and I are wanting to go in together on a hog to have butchered. my uncle did this last year he bought his fromt he auction went straight home and butchered it. Is this safe? I feel like I would want to keep at least a few weeks to know what it is eating and also if they had given it meds or wormers.

What weight should we get?
    Do you reccomend a certain breed?
    And what age?

Any response will be appreciated. Thanks

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I must not be very interesting... [​IMG] Nobody looks at my posts..... [​IMG]

3. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    Most butchers don't like to see them over 250#, they become difficult to work with.

Are your pigs females, or casturated males?

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I dont have them yet. Just gonna get one from the auction take home a few weeks (stuff with goodies) Then take to Butcher. Do you reccomend female or castrated male. I have no idea what i should get been trying to research but coming up short

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    in my opinion... get a 180 to200 pound red duroc and feed him out to about 220. Perfection.

ps have a little patience. 15 minutes is hardly very long to wait.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  6. MattyP

MattyP Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    Columbia, TN
    I raise hogs for friends and personal use. I would be a little wary of the auction. You get a lot of other people's diesease and illness. Your in Illinois there has got to be someone who raises them around there. By a feeder pig if you have the room and grow it yourself. I love my piggies. The sows are big old pets.

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Thanks for the help folks. This is just one of those... Perfect world scenarios at the moment. But wanted the Experts opinions.... [​IMG] Hopefully I'll be posting pics of my big fat piggies soon....MMMM Fresh Bacon..and HAm ...and Chops ... And o yeah did I say BACON>>>>

Patience... Whats That? LOL

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  8. MattyP

Feb 9, 2009
    Columbia, TN
    Quote:Your definitely right. Over 250# and they start to get really fatty. I have about 20 or so free ranging on 8 acres and they love it. I can't pen them up like some people do to raise hogs. They are very intelligent animals and I like to see them out in the field rooting around.

9. MattyP

Feb 9, 2009
    Columbia, TN
    Quote:Thanks for the help folks. This is just one of those... Perfect world scenarios at the moment. But wanted the Experts opinions.... [​IMG] Hopefully I'll be posting pics of my big fat piggies soon....MMMM Fresh Bacon..and HAm ...and Chops ... And o yeah did I say BACON>>>>

Patience... Whats That? LOL

Make sure the slaughterhouse you take the hog too cures bacon and hams. You can do it yourself if you want. We did about 8 hams and a couple of slabs of bacon this year. I am going to take 2 hams over to a friends for a sugar cure. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

10. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    All this talk about HAm and Bacon... Yep need a pig.. Biggest reason I can't raise form babies, I cohabitate with my sister and she already has a stink with me about the chickens and the rescue dog.. I finnaly convinced her to let me keep one or two in a large pen for 2-4 weeks but any longer and she says no way... I really would love to raise them myself, know what they ate, health etc... I am having a hard enough time trying to convince that Coturnix won't stink.... Gotta love city folk in the country...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by