Right calcium.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BabyAutumn, Feb 2, 2017.

1. BabyAutumn

BabyAutumn New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    I have one chicken in particular that is quite weak and I believe sick.
    Long story short, I am trying to find the right Calcium to feed her separately. I've seen some videos saying you can take chewable calcium tablets for humans, crush them up and mix them in the food with some water. I was willing to try this, but am not sure if those pills are alright for animals.
    Does anybody know of a suitable calcium source I could use besides Grit shells?
    Something I can get at a regular store would be great.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Why are you thinking she needs more calcium?

Grit and calcium (oyster shell) are two different things. You can give her eggshells or yes, you can give her an over the counter calcium supplement if she needs it.

3. BabyAutumn

BabyAutumn New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    Her behaviour has changed over the past week, and I figured she may be egg bound. We checked, but failed to find any stuck egg. Maybe she's simply sick. Therefore I wanted to up her Calcium for her muscles and so on.
    I wanted to know if human calcium tablets were fine for animals and chickens.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yes they do. What do you feed them?

I am just afraid you are putting too much effort into upping her calcium, perhaps unnecessarily, instead of treating what is actually wrong. So first let's try to figure out what's wrong. I will jump over to your other thread.

1 person likes this.
  5. BabyAutumn

BabyAutumn New Egg

Jan 30, 2017
    We feed our flock regular chicken pellets and corn feed (for the winter mostly), alongside Grit.
    And thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by