Right chest mass Not the crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Foramendog, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Foramendog

Foramendog In the Brooder

May 12, 2019
    my 6month old millie fleur pullet has a growth on her right chest. It is not her crop, which is filling and emptying without issue. This mass has now been growing about 10 days ago She was very sick when i took her to the avian vet. I’ve given her 7 days of IM antibiotics and secluded her mostly from the flock. She’s doing much better and is not nearly as weak, but the growth is growing. The vet had me bring her in for a possible open and drainage of an abscess versus mass. The growth is solid with no fluid, so rescheduled surgery for tomorrow under general anesthesia. The vet had an emergency and is not available. I’m trying to figure out what this could possibly be and am at a loss. Ideas?

Attached Files:

9SpiceyChickens likes this.
  2. getaclue

getaclue Enabler

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    When the vet's office called to tell you the vet had an emergency, and was unavailable, they should have rescheduled at their soonest availability. If they did not, I'd call the office back, and reschedule ASAP.

3. Foramendog

May 12, 2019
    unfortunately they aren’t sure when the vet will be available was admitted to hospital. I’m searching my area for a vet. I’m very worried about her and was hoping someone would see this and know what sort of mass this could be or if there is a common chicken issue that presents like this

4. Mandrogora

Mandrogora Songster

Jun 28, 2018
    NW Montana
    Did she have an injury in that area? Were you able to see inside the growth? Chicken pus is often yellowish and hard with a cheese like consistency. It isn't a fluid consistency that would drain out. The plug or infection would need to be removed if that is what it is.

5. getaclue

getaclue Enabler

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Ok, now I understand the deal with the vet. @casportpony @Wyorp Rock Let me see if this works to call someone possibly more experienced with this. I hate to advise you to try opening it yourself without having a better understanding of what it might be, and being able to biopsy it, if needed. In addition, there may be medications required that the vet would have to prescribe.

9SpiceyChickens likes this.
  6. Foramendog

May 12, 2019
    I’m actually a nurse with significant wound care experience. But that’s with people. I’m not aware of an injury but that sounds reasonable. I can see in where the vet had first opened it to drain. It is solid like you said and may well be yellowish inside but looks more brown. It’s pretty hard to the touch though.

7. getaclue

getaclue Enabler

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    I'm more concerned it could be a cyst, or tumor, which might require a bit more expertise to safely remove, along with anesthesia/pain medication. Again, I think a vet should be looking at it, unless one of the more experienced people on here have experienced something similar, and can advise you.

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry about your pullet.
    Hard to know what's going on there. Vet care is your best bet, since the Vet is not well and can't see her again, could the office refer you to another vet?

The green is interesting, usually that indicates bruising (maybe from a needle stick?).
    A lump like that could be a number of things from cancer to ingrown feather follicles to some type of abscess.
    What antibiotic did they give you to use?

9. Foramendog

May 12, 2019
    pipercillin/tazobactam IM in her chest muscle left side opposite this mass. Reading above has been helpful. I do also think this is beyond me and my skill. This needs an avian vet most definitely. I kept her nothing but mouth last night in case I can get her to someone this morning. Thank you for your discussion, I’ll follow up with the “rest of the story.”

Sequel, Wyorp Rock and aart like this.
  10. Foramendog

May 12, 2019
    Following up with you all. First thank you for stating that the green can be bruising. As a human caregiver green has much more dire possibilities. Took her to the vet that’s in the office with the one that does surgery. This vet does not do surgery, but seems very competent. She agrees the green looks more like bruising, continuing antibiotics, gave her some SQ fluids with B12 due to her continuing to be weak. My girl is eating and pooping. The vet thinks this mass may be getting smaller. She plans to take her home with her tonight to watch her, the mass, give fluids etc. No overnight charges just the fluids and meds. Tomorrow we will know more. With this I’m calmer since, again in a human the green is far more emergent that the bruising in a chicken. Thank you for chiming one and sharing. I love my little flock and am trying to keep them healthy and happy, and if we ever get an egg, well it will be a bonus

Sequel, Bonniebooboo, Suedan and 4 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: