Right Dosage For Tylan 50?!?!???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenbuttsowhat, Sep 21, 2011.

1. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i got some sick silkie hens and rooster which i believe to be coryza i heard from a fellow chicken breeder that tylan 50 best for coryza and where to inject it but i forgot to ask how much and for how long so was it the right dosage and for how long untill they r full cure i just got these hens and love them very much with all my heart and been fighting this for 2 weeks i lost one hen and i dont want to lose anymore also go one hen gone blind in right eye cuz of it [​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Sulmet is good for that

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Desert Rooster is correct. Sulmet can be used to treat coryza as well as gallimycin, aureomycin...soluables mixed in water. How do you know if it's coryza? You can tell if it's coryza if there's a foul odor about the nostrils and/or head area on your silkies. No smelly odor means it's something else, possibly mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Tylan 50 injectable can be used to treat MG, but not coryza...it would be most likely be ineffective. If in fact it's MG, it would be best to treat your silkies with denagard. Denagard will clear it up and there's no resistance nor withdrawal. You will have to give them a preventative dose of denagard once a month. It would be better than injecting them with tylan in which the disease will eventually build resistance to the tylan, then you'd have to use something more powerful. As I stated, there's NO resistance to denagard and a bottle of it will last you a long time. Type "denagard" in the BYC search box and read up on it if you wish. If it's coryza, use sulmet and follow the directions on the bottle or package. Sulmet is harsh on their system and I recommend that you feed them scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk (not yogurt) during the sulmet treatment and a few days after treatment. Do not mix anything else in the sulmet treated water.

4. chickenbuttsowhat

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    ive tried the sulmet and didnter work thats what i start the 2nd week i been taking care of them first week i was using some weak antibiotic only 10mg cant really remember what it was at moment but anyways then next week after seen nothing helping i tried sulmet and still nothing so im trying tylan 50

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  5. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    When I use tylan 50 I use .25 cc bantam and .5 for standard in the back of neck or breast 3-5 days. I have used it for respitory issues only.

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Tylan 50 injection dosage is 0.1 cc/ml per pound. Once a day x 3 days. Very good for Mycoplasma infections.

Edited because I just read Dawg's post. Denegard sounds great...gonna check it out. No withdrawal is always a good thing!!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  7. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you Dawg.

Did a little reading and Denagard is getting some really good reviews. Nice that you can treat everyone at once in drinking water. I may try some.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It's the NO RESISTANCE that counts [​IMG]

9. AZBootsie

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:It's the NO RESISTANCE that counts [​IMG]

very true.

10. chickenbuttsowhat

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    oh i never heard of mycoplasma gallisepticum and that deff sounds like them cuz they dont have a bad smell at all thanks dawg53 for telling me about that i need to find a better site with more chicken ailments so i have more to research on xD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by