Riley, Barred EE, Laid Her First Egg Today (Pic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Dec 19, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No surprise that it's green since she is a BR x blue Ameraucana. She's 23 weeks and laid this about a minute before we left for a family dinner out of town, so I took it with me to show folks. Most never knew chickens could lay green or blue eggs, of course, and were amazed. My nephew's girlfriend asked what happens to turn them green.

[​IMG]

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    My sister thought green eggs came from feeding your chicken Alfalfa~!

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Good Looking Green Egg. You go Riley [​IMG]

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    WooHoo! We get a lot of folks at farmers markets who've never seen blue or green eggs. Oh the questions they ask! lol

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    How is Riley doing Speckledhen? Can't wait to have some of his children. [​IMG]

6. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I have a hen named Riley too! She's a silkie the most stubborn bird I've ever had! She insists on hatching some eggs and then right before their due date she gets off! She loves to have her own way. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

I think you meant *her* children, right, Maxx, LOL? Riley is fabulous. She is currently in with Isaac, my Delaware rooster. Now, since Riley is already a cross of a brown egg layer breed and a blue egg layer breed, if she is crossed again with Isaac, some of her daughters will lay green and some brown, most likely. To get one who definitely lays green eggs, you need the daughters of my Dutch over one of the BBS Ameraucanas (Riley's mother is Charlotte, a blue).

Here is Riley. She is such a sweet girl, loves being held, like most of my BBS Ameraucanas do:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

****Emily, didn't know you had a hen named Riley! Cool! I like that name alot.

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Right! My bad Speckledhen! I was thinking about my roo at the time.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Way to go Riley! [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Now, for Gracie....she's making me wait. Thought for sure she'd have laid her first egg by the time we returned, but Riley beat her to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by