Ring-necked Dove Losing Eye Feathers?

JKH

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2020
Hi there, my female ring-necked dove, Ginger, appears to be losing feathers around her eye, which looks a bit matted. I'm sorry to say I don't know if the other eye is the same, for I haven't been able to get that view. I also don't have a picture yet, but will try to get one ASAP. I just wanted to post this right away in case this is an emergency situation. She is otherwise not behaving differently at all and her mate is happy and healthy, too. These doves have never had any contact with others outside my apartment, so they haven't caught anything. Does she need veterinary attention? Is there any way to help her? Thanks for your advice.

Hi @JKH. How's your dove doing?
If you think this is an emergency situation please post here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

preferably with pictures!
Thanks so much for your response. Ginger is actually behaving in such a lively way, that I am skeptical that she could be sick. Also, I noticed that the places around her eye and beak that seem a little bare actually have the roots of new feathers coming in. Perhaps this is just a normal cycle with her feathers? So, I think the mini-crisis has passed. I will keep that Forum in mind for the future if another emergency arises, if could be life-saving. Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom