Ring necked duck pet?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Welsh Ducky, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Welsh Ducky

Welsh Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    (We live in North Carolina) This winter my friends found a ring necked duck in their yard saying it couldn't fly so I went to go look at it, they had put her in a rabbit hutch/dog kennel and they gave her a little card bord box she stays in, they pushed over the card bord box so she flew out of it and flapped around the cage (its a tall cage) so I think she can fly. They only give mill-worms to eat and they don't have any more ducks so I'm guessing she is getting depressed. They were saying I could take her because I have two more ducks, a Pekin Drake and a female Khaki Campbell, who get along very well. So I was wondering if I should let her go to the pond I live next to, or keep her. I'm not really sure how to take care of a ring necked duck. So if you have any tips on keeping her that would be appreciated. :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I believe it is illegal to keep wild water fowl.....Contact a Wildlife rehab.....They will release it to a pond with the same species.........

Cheers!

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You are correct, and I agree, best to contact a wildlife rescue.

4. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    I will definitely call a rescue if they end up giving her to me. If they keep her, I'll convince them to call a wildlife rescue, they didn't seem to keen on letting it go. Thanks for the help! :D I will make sure the little girl gets back to her home.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Carolina Waterfowl Rescue is outside of Charlotte. They would take this duck in a heart beat.If your close.
    @Welsh Ducky

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  6. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    I have sad news, my friends were going to give the duck to me in a few days, but over night she died :hit they didn't know what from though. They said she ate but they only fed her scratch so maybe that's what caused it? I would have loved to get her back to her home. :( thanks for the help any way I will make sure to help any other ducks that come my way. :)

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't want to sound too harsh, but there is a good reason that the average person should not keep wildlife, and this is a good example of that. Your friend should have contacted a wildlife rescue, and you should have encouraged them to do that. If this ever happens again, please do the right thing and let properly trained rehabbers deal with it. I know you both wanted to help, which would have been okay if it was a domestic duck, but this a unique duck with special dietary requirements.

8. Welsh Ducky

Sep 6, 2016
    I did E-maile them to call a wild life rescue and told them many times to give her to me so I could drive her to the rescue in Charlotte but she died before I could take her. Sadly they aren't animal peopl so they would rather just drop her in a box then call a wild life rescue. :( I'm sorry I didn't get to her sooner I really wanted to get her to a wild life rescue. I know that they should have brought her to a rescue I tried my best. :(

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You did what you could, and hopefully they learned a lesson. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by