ring Security Cams & Spotlights

lilredwings

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2018
Maryland
I’m a new flock owner. Naturally I’m getting ready to setup a coop. My major concern is the predator issue. I’m located in a rural area of Maryland...lots and lots of foxes and racoons.

I was curious whether anybody has attempted using the Ring (brand) security cameras and spotlight setup to help protect their flock? They’re all motion activated. They advertise there’s an alarm tied to the security cam systems too.

My largest concern would be whether using the alarm sound to scare off a fox or racoon would also shock/harm the flock? I’m guessing the flock would be okay considering chickens have handled farmers with loud shotgun sounds. Lol

And is the alarm sound enough to even chase off the predator?

Just curious to see if anybody has experience with the Ring system in general or something similar.

Thank you in advance!

If you are concerned with the predators mentioned, I suggest you research a Hot Wire electric deterrent. Noises will only aggravate the owner. What do you intend to do as you hear the noise, run out in your PJ's and yell at the predator. They will return as soon as you lay back in bed.
One taste of HIGH VOLTAGE, and they go elsewhere. (it does not harm the animal, only teaches it a lesson to stay away) Raccoons are smart to remember and avoid returning. Just like they remember to avoid a trap once they are caught in one once.
WISHING YOU BEST........ :welcome

Phew. High voltage sounds serious regardless.

Our nearest neighbor is 3/4 of a mile away. So we don’t have to worry about annoying anybody. But we are on state property, part of a state park system. Kids come around often and high voltages...that’d make me nervous.

I was curious whether loud noises will deter predators or not. I’d hate to drop money into something expensive but pointless.

Our nearest neighbor is 3/4 of a mile away. So we don’t have to worry about annoying anybody. But we are on state property, part of a state park system. Kids come around often and high voltages...that’d make me nervous.

I was curious whether loud noises will deter predators or not. I’d hate to drop money into something expensive but pointless.

As cavemanrich stated the noise will only deter them for a short while, and they will likely get used to it before long and it won't bother them at all. The best thing to do is make sure your coop is predator proof and lock your chickens up tight at dusk. Even in the daytime you can still have casualties from foxes, dogs and hawks if your run is not predator proof as well.

Last edited:
As cavemanrich stated the noise will only deter them for a short while, and they will likely get used to it before long and it won't bother them at all. The best thing to do is make sure your coop is predator proof and lock your chickens up tight at dusk. Even in the daytime you can still have casualties from foxes, dogs and hawks if your run is not predator proof as well.

Thank you. I kinda was thinking eventually the predators would become desensitized to the sound & lights.

We’ll do our best with fencing and in-ground pavers.

Thanks again, y’all. :)

You have more to worry about then foxes and raccoon, add bobcat mountain lion bear feral pigs possum weasel cowolf coyotes dumped dogs feral cats and brown wood rats. And the Fisher is making a comeback thanks to the DNR. I may have missed a few. The other poster are correct electric fence and a Good Dog. Form the air you have hawk bald eagle and the in fact a crow will pick of chicks. Make sure run is well covered, not just bird netting. Maryland has more predators then most people think.

I use electrified fencing around kids, mine mostly with eldest 6 years of age. My fencing was installed about time first kid could walk. I also grew up around it and did get shocked now and then. People fearing it have the least experience around using such. The electrified fencing is the least cost setup I have that actually works.

When I shine Great-horned Owls, Coyotes, Red Fox, Raccoons, and Opossums their reaction varies greatly. Generally as you go down list the reaction / inclination to leave goes down as well. Red Fox can become habituated to it quickly

Back
Top Bottom