Ring Teal Breeding

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by THunter, Jan 5, 2012.

1. THunter

THunter Chillin' With My Peeps

How difficult is it to get Ring Teal to breed in captivity?

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
  3. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    On a scale from one to ten, with ten being the easiest, Ringed Teal are an eleven. A great little duck but they breed like rabbits when content.

They need very little water and a very basic diet. So long as they are well kept and there's a selection of nest boxes high up in the enclosure you'll have them coming out of your ears in no time.

Let the hen sit and hatch her own eggs. Unlike most male ducks, male Ringed Teal help assist with rearing the young and the parents do a great job raising the young. Letting them raise the ducklings also (usually) stops them from laying again and prevents you from having too many of them on your hands come late summer. There's usually a glut of them available in the fall and selling them can sometimes take a while.

DT

4. THunter

How would I find someone in Georgia or in a near-by state that could sell them in Georgia where I could get some?

5. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Join the American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society, quite a few advertisers there. Also check gbwf.org and softbillsforsale.com

6. waterdog

waterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Michigan
    They are fairly easy to breed, they should have a small pond and raised woodduck style nest boxes give them several to choose from. Being a small duck they can be bullied easily and if they are not totally comfortable they will not breed.

7. aldren90

aldren90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    I should have some in the spring and im 45 min from valdosta

8. THunter

That's cool. My parents are down there quite a bit (Dad is from Moultrie) and one of his high school buddies lives in Perry, FL.

9. aldren90

aldren90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    Oh cool my dad goes to moultrie for that ag expo thing every year too

10. THunter

Would you have a pair to sell this spring that Mom and Dad might could pick up when they are down there? Or me, too, if I can get a kitchen pass to come with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by