Ringneck dove mating

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by morgannnnn39, Feb 1, 2015.

1. morgannnnn39

morgannnnn39 New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    I have 2 ringneck doves. I'm not sure if they are male or female. They will mate but there have been no eggs. Will they lay without a nest box? I did give them one recently and the "female" got in it and starting cooing and wing twitching. And I read that males do that. Are they both males but the one thinks it's a female, or are they a pair?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Provide some nest materials and hope for the best. Gender can be difficult to tell in pigeons and doves, and yes sometimes even they become confused. Both hens and cocks will do the 'wing twitch' thing when selecting a nest site.

3. morgannnnn39

morgannnnn39 New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    Thank you @sourland I did give them nesting materials. So now I just have to wait.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    With pigeons egg laying generally takes place about 10 days after courting/mating behavior, but I have no experience with doves.

5. Chickincredible

Chickincredible Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    It tends to change...
    I have read that doves can get gender confused very easily. I have a female and she does the "coo and wing twitch" but she lays eggs. As for the nesting box situation, my girl just lays wherever, but she also doesn't have a mate. She particularly likes to find our indoor fake plants and coo in them. I'm not a dove expert and I am a few months late but I hope that I came as some sort of help to you, :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by