Ringneck doves outdoors for the winter?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by toejam, Jun 14, 2011.

1. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    Can you keep ringneck doves outside year round in Ohio? I have a pair now and was wondering if I could leave them in my new aviary year round. If not, ill bring em in for the winter.

2. juriches

juriches New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    I live in Utah and have flocks of those ring-necked doves that stay all year long. If there is food and shelter (like a big evergreen tree) and water, they do just fine.

3. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Doves and pigeons can take some really cold weather so long as they have someplace to get out of the wind. Birds don't do well with drafts. I had a friend that raised cockatiels outside year round in Maryland.

4. toejam

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    Thanks so much!

5. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    I also live in Utah and I give my doves a heat lamp in the winter, but I don't think they even need it. As long as they stay dry they should be okay.

6. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    a pair might not do so well, you might need more birds to keep eachother warm

7. toejam

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    Quote:There will be a pair of mandarin ducks And a pair of ringed teal, and possibly more. In the future I will have bronzewing doves.I may still bring them inside, now I know it isn't a sure way to kill them if I left em out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by