Ringneck Doves???

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by SamG347, Nov 7, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Well I just inherited a pair of ringneck doves. Any advice on how to care for them? I think I have the basics down after raising chickens and gamebirds for the past 4-5 years. But never had doves before.
    Are they fun to have?
    Thanks yall:D

2. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    .::Feeding::.
    okay feed them parakeet seed, dove food, or wild bird mix...

.::Care::.
    Keep them indoors please. It'll keep them warm, healthy, and happy!They do need attention/interaction with people.

.::Sound::.
    I have one lonely female...she makes a Hoohoohoohoo noise and a laughing sound much like a hyper baby with a REALLY funny voice!

.::Colors::.
    They have many colors...tangerine, Pied, Pearl, White, and regular cinnamon with a black ring around the neck. More colors are available.

this is all by me...will post my own little info thread...LOL

Jacob

3. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    mine eat game bird crumbles and bird seed

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I had a pair of mine outdoors with no problems..both were hens and layed eggs and sat on them for me (ofcourse weren't fertile). I fed them a mixture of chicken laying mash and bird seed mainly. They were really easy to care for and very calm for all the birds i have raised (when held)...i deffinatly reccomend them for young kids who want birds...much safer than parakeets that bite LOL!

I had them also in a rabbit hutch type set up...and i can't stress how easy it was to care for them lol. I'd have them again but i'd rather get homers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  5. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I have two ringneck doves with eggs due to hatch any day now. I would suggest going to:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/index.php
    or http://www.dovepage.com

Both are excellent sources of information. If you have any specific questions, you're welcome to PM me as I might not remember to check back at this thread.

6. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Quote:Haha, our dove is up high so when she makes the laughing noise they cant figure out what it is [​IMG]

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    i saw one the other day at a store and I swear it looked VERY lavender. It was in there with about a hundred others of all colors, but it was the only purple hued ring neck dove I have ever seen!

8. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    Can you show me pictures, please?

9. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    My baby ringnecks hatched today!!! They are tiny and pink and maybe the size of my thumb. Sooo cute!

10. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Thanks everyone.....The birds should be coming to live here sometime this week.....I plan to get 2-3 more pairs sometime here soon as well. If not more.
    Should be a lot of fun!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by