Ringneck escaped!

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by coopaloop, Dec 21, 2009.

1. coopaloop

coopaloop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2009
    Grand Lake
    Today I forgot to latch the door to the pheasant coop and one of my roosters escaped. I found him an hour or so later in some brush and snuck up on him with a 12gauge and a net. I honestly thought i could catch him so i tried and he ended up flying 200yards away and i never found him. What are the chances he will come back to the pen. Is there anyway i could use a call to call him back. Live in the middle of the Colorado mountains so no other pheasants for him to meet up with or food for him.

2. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    He might come back to the pen.

When I first moved my melanistics from their brooder to their pen they were pretty small still, and one of them (a little hen) managed to somehow get out through the wire. I figured she was gone for good, but some days later we saw her down by the road in front of the house in and around a weedy strip. Then she started coming back up around the pen.

One day when she was around we closed the other ones all up inside their house, and then opened the outside door of the pen. In a little bit she came and went back in.

Can't say for sure on your guy, but it is possible.

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I would keep a close eye. He may come back for feedin time.

[​IMG]

4. bird

bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Oregon
    I had a similar situation, where two hens (Lady Amherst and Kalij) escaped from the pen. [​IMG] They never calm down in this pen as I got them as addults two months ago. Long story short. Lady Amherst never came back [​IMG], but after 2 or 3 days the Kalij hen came in our property. I left food for her and didn't bother her, when she was walking around. On the next morning for while I saw that she was walking around the pen non stop and I decided to do something. In a corner it was easy to catch her as she was exosted [​IMG]...be patient and offer food for the bird, but keep eye also on him. Maybe you will see when he is roosting and you can catch him in the dark! Good luck!

5. Rachelj07

Rachelj07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    We had two of our male ringnecks escape as well. We are surrounded by fields and woods (lets of places to find feed) also lots of things that could get them. One of our ringnecks took off and never came back. The second one came back and would take off for awhile then come back. We always left food out for him if we saw him around (and sometimes when we didn't). The past week we finally decided to catch him and put him back because we saw a couple of hawks around (in our yard no less!). Be patient, he may come back after awhile. Keep feed out for him so we knows where to go when he gets hungry as one of these times you'll be able to get him.

6. coopaloop

Dec 18, 2009
    Grand Lake
    He ended up coming back after about two weeks. He was sitting on top of the run and I knew I couldn't catch him so I got my 22. Better me eating him then something else. D-lish.

7. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    Ohhh........[​IMG]

We have yellow golden pheasants. A male got out this summer and stayed out for about 2 weeks, but he hung around their pen and my husband caught him one afternoon and put him back in the pen with his buddies. A female got out just a couple of days ago, and she also was hanging around, walking the outside woods side of the fencing on their pen, trying to figure out how to get back in. Yesterday afternoon my husband and I were able to catch her and put her back in the pen---it does work better if you have someone to help you catch them, and a fishing net on a pole works wonders!!! [​IMG]

8. bantamsrus

bantamsrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    I have a few of my golden hens get out on me.....they're sneaky!!!! [​IMG]
    I've managed to get them all back within a day or two. I try to keep an eye on them until it starts to get dark, see where they're roosting, and then get them once it's dark. There's no sense in chasing them around. They just run farther from home.

9. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Did you buy a liscense to harvest your bird? My area requires me to be able to raise pheasants without a permit as long as I keep them in a coop. Free range birds are property of the state. Please check your local laws in harvesting birds whether or not you raised them or not.

10. coopaloop

Dec 18, 2009
    Grand Lake
    Quote:Did you buy a liscense to harvest your bird? My area requires me to be able to raise pheasants without a permit as long as I keep them in a coop. Free range birds are property of the state. Please check your local laws in harvesting birds whether or not you raised them or not.

Did I buy a Lisense to harvest my bird? I have every liscense Colorado makes you get. Small game, furbearer, fishing, habitat stamps, etc. And the pheasant season in Colorado goes until the end of February. There are no wild pheasants even within 200 miles from were I live. You do not need any special permits to raise a pheasant or chicken or anything were i live and I really don't care that "your area" does. That bird was my property on my property. Besides I am raising my pheasants to butcher after spring anyways so one lost cock dosent mean anything but an early pheasant dinner. All I have to say to your response is what a stupid question. What difference would it make to you. Your response has nothing to do with original post and your butting into peoples business who you don't even know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by