Ringneck pheasant attacking the hen

Aquafreshh

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2021
So i have a ringneck rooster i found while land mowing as a chick for about a year now. He grew up with my peafowl and the get along great.
Recently i managed to get him a hen and the first day i put them together he attacked her and broke or injured her leg. Now she is in a cage isolated and recovering.
Why would he do that? Maybe he has no instinct towards the hens because he never saw one?

Is there any way i can befriend them when or if she recovers?

Ringnecks can be too aggressive during breeding season especially when young
Mine has 3 hens and still not enough to prevent breeding injury. Good luck with hen’s recovery and my recommendation would be to give him at least 4 hens to reduce risk of injury next year. But sometimes still not enough

Did you put her into 'his pen'? Male birds are very territorial and will defend that territory from all newcomers.
Best to put them in an enclosure that is 'new' to both...less likely to have a territorial dispute.

Did you put her into 'his pen'? Male birds are very territorial and will defend that territory from all newcomers.
Best to put them in an enclosure that is 'new' to both...less likely to have a territorial dispute.
Yeah i put her in his and peafowl pen. Peafowl were friendly while he wasn't at all. I made a mistake and im glad it wasn't fatal. She seems ok and behave normaly except for her leg and she stopped laying.

3 peahens and 1 peacock are with him in a large pen. Never any problem until now.

I have a friend, who is also a member on here, she raises peafowl and golden pheasants.
She had a Yellow Golden cockbird in her Black shouldered Silver pied enclosure. The male finally had enough of the golden with his running back and forth displaying and annoying him, that he killed the golden male. Something to think about! ;)

I have a friend, who is also a member on here, she raises peafowl and golden pheasants.
She had a Yellow Golden cockbird in her Black shouldered Silver pied enclosure. The male finally had enough of the golden with his running back and forth displaying and annoying him, that he killed the golden male. Something to think about! ;)
Mine grew up together and peacock and pheasant have a special bond that pheasant doesn't share with peahens. When i separate them they sit next to each other with the fence between them. I tried that and i felt bad because pheasant became really stressed. If i pair the new hen with the pheasant i will try to separate them from the peafowl.

I found some pics. New pheasant hen included.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-195937_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-195937_Photos.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220508-195919_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-195919_Photos.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220508-195904_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-195904_Photos.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220508-195857_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-195857_Photos.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220508-200031_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-200031_Photos.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 7
NEVER put the hen in a cage with a male who has lived their for some time. Always take the cock bird to the hen. Also do not mix them with peafowl peafowl can and have killed pheasants during breeding season regardless of their prior history together.

NEVER put the hen in a cage with a male who has lived their for some time. Always take the cock bird to the hen. Also do not mix them with peafowl peafowl can and have killed pheasants during breeding season regardless of their prior history together.
Peafowl will turn 1 in August so i don't have to worry about breeding season until next year right?

Back
Top Bottom