ringneck pheasant chicks dying

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trans416, Jul 3, 2010.

1. trans416

trans416 Hatching

Jul 3, 2010
    I've had two that hatched. When the first one hatched, it was alive for at least 3 days. On the day it died, I saw it jumping around and after a while it went to sleep. Then about 20 minutes later I came back to check on it, it was stiff. one of it's leg was stiff straight and the other was stiff curved. The whole body was stiff. Then the second one I had about two weeks later, it hatched and lived for only a day. I had my girlfriend watch the egg for me while I was gone but walked her through the whole process of not touching and bothering the egg and letting it hatch. After a successful hatch, it was walking and chirping around. about 24 hours later, right when she was about to put it into the brooder light box, it just died. It was the same way the first one. I'm starting to not bother hatching anymore eggs from my pheasants. If you ask me, "why am I hatching the eggs and not letting the mother hatch them?" It's because they aren't doing anything with the eggs. They lay them and leave them. There's three hens to the cock.

But just curious, what are you thought on this one? could it be that the mother isn't getting enough nutrients and so when she hatched the eggs, they weren't getting enough nutrients through the yolk? That's all I could come up with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by