Ringneck Pheasant picture

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Mary Of Exeter, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    He decided he'd check out some morning glories [​IMG] Figured you pheasant people would appreciate my drawing especially, so I decided to post it here rather than the hobbies section. He's drawn in sharpie, colored with prismacolor pencils. This piece is my current pride and joy, being my first time with prismacolors and the fact it's been in two art shows this spring. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My classmates always think I'm crazy for drawing out each individual feather or scale, but I don't mind the extra work. The detail is worth it, I think! Especially with birds. Also, as you can see, I decided to draw out each piece of grass as well. That was a pain to color, haha.
    I know his coloring may not be totally accurate, and I also realized after I'd traced it in sharpie that I left out any trace of wings....but...you have to bear with me. Did my best with the reference picture I was going by for the bird, and with the very basic limited colors I had to work with.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. HawaiiHorseGirl

HawaiiHorseGirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Hawaii
    That is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! The attention to detail is amazing! Great work! [​IMG]

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Wow, gorgeous job! It's detailed and the colors on the pheasant are so rich. [​IMG]

4. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Thank you guys! [​IMG]

5. Show-MeGamebirds

Show-MeGamebirds Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    Missouri
    Absolutely beautiful! You have an amazing gift indeed.
    Thank you for sharing. [​IMG]

6. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Thank you [​IMG]

7. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Can you do a good Ca Valley quail family?

What do you charge for your drawings?

Interested . . .

8. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I could most certainly try! Valley quail were one of the gamebirds I had on a list once to try drawing. A while back I drew portraits of people's birds in plain pencil for $15. But I have no idea if that is fair or not, or how much more to make full color pictures.
    But either way, I'll try my best, and scan/photograph my progress. Then we can decide how much to charge once its done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by