Ringneck Pheasant ?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by oldchickenman, Nov 23, 2009.

1. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    I am just starting out with 1 pair Ringneck Pheasants we built a run for themn 20 by 20 with some tree branches aand a box for them to get into part of the run is coverd. can you put more then one pair in the came run?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Right now we have 3 cocks and 6 hens in the same run. They were all hatched together and so far so good.

Steve in NC

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:They are okay until Jan then you will need to take 2 of your males out.A single male can handle up to 10 hens(lucky birds).Jan they start to pair of for breeding and the males will fight to the death for hens.You may luck out as they were raised together,but I wouldn't chance it.Or if you have the room make up 3 trios.
    In N.H.,Tony.
    Old chick man,
    Same for you,put as many hens in there as you want,but no more males.

4. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    well then for egg production it would be better to put more hens in with the male then to set up pairs?

5. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    It's probably better fertility,but the males are very aggressive during breeding and can kill hens.I think it's best for the hens if there are at least 4 hens for him to breed.This way he is not beating on 1 hen,he is spreading the beatings.Just my opinion.
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. mightieskeeper

mightieskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Clio Michigan
    Tony this is funny "This way he is not beating on 1 hen,he is spreading the beatings" This thinking works for almost all birds.

7. Tony K T

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Most all.but more so for ringnecks,reeves and silvers.These guys can be real aggressive when breeding.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by