ringnecked pheasant chicks!!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickensval, Aug 14, 2013.

1. chickensval

chickensval Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    Mobile, Alabama
    Sorry for posting in the wrong forum category!! There werent many responses in the pheasant category and i needed quick responses. Lol
    ---------------
    I have many chickens, ducks, and 2 geese. I also hatch all of the eggs I get from them. (Except the quail.) I recently got 24 ringnecked pheasant eggs to put in the incubator. They have been in the incubator 10 days. I have learned all about how to hatch pheasant eggs, but I need to know how to raise them. What do they eat? What kind of habitat? Are they flighty birds? Can they free range or do they need an enclosed habitat/shelter/coop? Thanks in advanced!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Feed a gamebird starter and grower. They are very nervous, high strung chicks and must be securely housed - they will go right through 1" mesh chicken wire. If you free range them, they will run away. I once raised ringnecks and did so in 3 pens that were 60' long by 20' wide by 8' high. If overcrowded they will become cannibalistic and pick one another to death. They are interesting and rewarding, but they require a lot of work. I think that most states require a permit for the raising of them, but I may be wrong on that point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by