ringnecks!

pheasant24

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
is there a difference between manchurian and chinese?
or are they the same thing? pics maybe?
hmm.png

Yes there is a difference, They are both part of what is the "True Pheasants" there is like 20+ true pheasants. In the US you will be hard pressed to find Pure Manchurian or Chinese pheasants here. There are alot of crosses hatched by MacFarlane Pheasants every year.

MacFarland crosses Chinese hens with Manchurian cocks. Platnium, buff, melanistic, and white are all mutations of the true peasants. Wild birds in South Dakota are more than likely crosses from two or more of the true pheasants. I know that the Utah and Idaho fish and Game brought in Chinese, Mongolian, Tonkinese, Formosan, and Korean peasants at different times and turned them into the wild. Nevada brought in Afghan white-wing, Michgan brought in Strauch ringnecks. So most of what is hunted in the wild in the US is going to be a mixture of different true pheasants.

Quote:
x2

Yes our wild ringnecks here in SD are a mixture of the various wild ringnecks- some have blue backs, some green backs, some have white stripes above the eye brows; they range in color and are very fun to hunt and taste great.

I moved to central Indiana about 2and a half years ago. I moved from South Dakota, born and raised there for 41 years, lol. Grew up in the Aberdeen area of South Dakota. Some of the best pheasant hunting in the world in that area. My husband and I here in Indiana are raising ringneck pheasant now. This spring we will be ordering some chicks from the Gisi Pheasant Farms by Ipswich, SD. I am looking forward to having some pheasant that were born in South Dakota, actually just down the road from my families farm, lol. And yes you would be hard pressed to find true pheasant in the wild anywhere. My husband is from Indiana and he always wants to baby our pheasant now that it's colder. I told him if they can survive South Dakota winters they can survive anywhere. P.S. I don't miss South Dakota winters at all!!!! lol:celebrate

wow i didnt know there was that many kinds of ringneck!!!!
are the ones with green backs or white stripe above their forehead a kind or are they
same kind but look different?

Back
Top Bottom