Rio Rancho NM Desert Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cee, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Cee

Cee Hatching

Nov 3, 2017
    Hi, I moved here from California where I had a small flock of Bantams. Just found out Chickens are okay in Rio Rancho, NM yay! I have concerns about the heat, and cold. Trying to figure what kind of housing to build for new chickens. Do I need to buy heat/cold tolerant chickens? We get a lot of coyotes out here, day and night. Protection for my chickens is going to be a huge deal. No running all over the place for my chickie's like back in California. I live on almost two acres and have seen squirrels and chipmunks. Even rats. So, I'm worried about them eating the chicken food and breeding. I am going to need just a LITTLE advice LOL!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  2. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    welcome-tweety-300-farmer-c.gif

It is great to have you here!

Should be fine with a misting system, water and sun shades. They should be out of the coop in the heat of the day.

Check you local state thread for more coop details. You will need good ventilation in the coop

rjohns39, 007Sean, N F C and 2 others like this.
  3. Better Than Rubies

Better Than Rubies Crowing

Oct 20, 2017
    :welcome Hello there! Why not get cold and heat hardy chicken breeds? Or build a nice, insulated coop that will keep them warm in the winter, and cool in the summer.
    And for protection, unsupervised free-ranging shouldn't really be an option if you've got so many coyotes, but you probably know that. :cool: Maybe build a spacious run with a cover over the top, and some wire buried one or two feet underground, and one or two feet over the ground with some rocks surrounding it, too, perhaps? And, of course, get some 'predator-proof' fencing that's sturdy and has small holes, to keep a lot of different kinds of small critters out (possibly hardware cloth?). And a secure latch. But of course, some things are inevitable and you really can't help it, as you can only give them so much protection other than keeping them locked up most of the time in their coop, which wouldn't be very nice.
    And maybe you could put their food bags in metal garbage cans. That should keep rodents from eating it...maybe even from getting attracted to it. :)

4. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Crowing

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Hi neighbor! I'm down in Corrales, also a CA native.
    Your predator list is coyotes and raccoons.
    Check out the NM group (titled simply "New Mexico") as we've covered what breeds do best (almost every) and other assorted NM chicken issues. There is a poultry swap weekly (weather permitting) in Edgewood, but lots of us have surplus birds and chicks.
    Welcome to the Land of Enchantment!

5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you already have some great links, so I'll so say a big hello :frow

6. N F C

N F C Poo happens, move on

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Looks like you've already 'met' some neighbors so make yourself at home!

7. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy and :welcome:frow Glad you joined the family. Enjoy your time here! Better Than Rubies has already given very sound advice....so I'll just say, Welcome

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC! I would definitely check out the threads suggested by other members.

9. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC:frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

N F C, ronott1 and Better Than Rubies like this.
  10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Did you candle today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: