Riot Over Nike Shoe Release -- Is there hope for the human race?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bullitt, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yeah, and I can just imagine who most of the people were that caused it...:/

3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Interesting and endemic (parents and certain Christmas toys, certain yearly sales events, etc.). The first time I recall witnessing this sort of frenzy was an evening news report back in either `59-`60 (5 or 6 yrs old at the time). Don't think it was Cronkite. Anyway, there was some limited number of panty girdles available at `Gimbles/Macys??? and, of course, even then footage was being shot - obviously the network must have been tipped-off as the picture was framed from slightly above and focused on the double doors (cameraman on counter?).

The 20 sec, or so, of film started out with a quiet store interior with several very large display bins piled high with white material (the targets, I guess). Two uniformed guards standing on either side of doors and three suited salesmen arranged, with arms down, looking calm as church deacons. A fourth man walks into frame to the doors (manager?) and, almost immediately, a single colonial beast surges through the doors and overwhelms all, in an instant. Nothing but winter coats, swinging purses, flailing arms with lots of what appeared to be squarish and round `containers' bobbing above the fray (the `ladies' hats). Nothing but mayhem incarnate. Guess it was worse a few years earlier:

http://invention.smithsonian.org/centerpieces/whole_cloth/u7sf/u7materials/nylondrama.html

Now, not being stupid, or particularly moved by acquisition of stuff in order to enhance or advance my social station and, more importantly, needing a rationale with which to implore my DW to leave me behind with my post traumatic shopping disorder, I simply didn't forget what I'd seen, e.g., `please, babe, I'll go with you to some 24hr. joint at 3 AM but not NOW! The Crush! All those snotty nosed disease vectors!' She replies: `but you don't mind me going?' to which I can only ever say, 'but you like it, dear."

What really sticks in my craw is that I just know, if I'm so unlucky as to linger, shuffling off this mortal coil is that, as the sight of the doc shaking his head as he pulls the mirror from my lips, fades away, the last thing I'll probably hear is that idiotic little advertising jingle and the words - "Half the fun of having feet are RED BALL SHOES" (if you're of a certain age, I pray you don't have total recall :p ).

Fighting to get it, fighting to get away from it. Have fun.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  4. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Did ya see the shoes? UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    People that do this need to get a life... really.

6. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    no there is no hope for the human race.

we either will poison ourselves with all we put in the air and water or we will kill eacher with a bomb or there will be too many and it will be either mass starvation (yes this is in some places in the world right now) or disease will come in this is what happens when there is too many animanals in one p-lace they die of starvation or disease.

I personally think when mother earth has had it she will have a virus like the black plaque to lesson the population and many will die there will be no cure fond soon enough. Or many another country will plant a virus that will take out many I saw on a tv show once they said if one person had small pox I think it was but didn't know it and he was on a plan and how many he touched and how many they touch and how fast it went through the country and how many got sick I don't recall any dying. but I am sure there were deaths.

We are to violent and we want want someone else has and if we don't have it we are willing (not all of us but in the general sense ) we will kill each other mother brother sister father or any kin and we will kill our friends and neighbors to get it. It is sad I feel we can just share all we have but it is not something that will happen till we die and go to Heaven I see that as the only peace man kind has.

Don't mean to ben so bleak here I seem to have hope when there is none but all man kind has did to the animal and the earth I am sorry I don't think that is I am not sure but think we don't have a nother 2,000 year to go.

Rhayden

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    All in the name of the company's profits........they just don't care!

8. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    EweSheep, that is a good point. Why can't they have the release in the morning when these teenagers and young adults are sleeping? [​IMG]

Henny Penny, I think in the not too distant future we will reach a population level that is unsustainable. When there is not enough food to go around, people will really be trying to kill each other to get food.

ivan3, it is interesting that you mentioned that women were fighting to get nylons right after World War II.

The marketing that is used to get people to buy junk they don't need really started after World War II.

I just do not understand why people are willing to wait in line at midnight or whatever and fight with crowds to get anything. My brother and I stood in a long line to see the first Star Wars movie. But I am older and smarter now. I won't wait in a long line to watch a movie, to buy shoes, or anything else. I can come back when there isn't a line if I want something.

The movie will still be playing the next day and Nike will be still selling shoes next week. There is no reason for this craziness, except people have been brainwashed by our consumer society that is driven by marketing. They think if they don't have it first they aren't cool.

Someone mentioned that the shoes are ugly. I have seen pictures and video of New York fashion shows. Women are wearing hats out of a cartoon, and the women trip and fall on the clothes, or they are wearing shoes that make it difficult to walk. It is more of an art exhibition than actually making clothes that women can wear. I don't know who is buying this stuff.

The teenagers want those ugly shoes with all the colors because they get attention. Then you hear about some kid getting shot or stabbed by someone who wants those shoes but can't afford to buy them. That is reason enough for me not to wear the shoes, and parents shouldn't allow their children to wear the shoes. I don't really know what they cost, but they are always overpriced. There is another reason not to buy them. These shoes are all made by low-wage workers in Asian countries, and those workers probably couldn't afford to buy these shoes if they were dumb enough to want them.

Disclaimer: I actually have a pair of Nike shoes. But they are just black running type shoes, and they were a Christmas gift. These aren't the type that people are fighting over.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  9. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Advertising for things we don't need kicked off in the 20's when buy now pay later first started

10. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I just love reading between the lines. Who do you imagine the people who blitzed "black friday' at Target were?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by