RIP 4 wk GLW - bad day in the run, wish I knew if "Biter" was involved

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skhomer, May 16, 2011.

1. skhomer

skhomer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Homer, Georgia
    The last couple of warm days I've been letting the 4 wk BRs and GLWs go out in the covered run with the big girls (9 weeks, RIR and SS). When I checked on them this afternoon, one of the GLWs was dead, lying pretty close to the feeder. She was the only one that hadn't feathered out well, but seemed healthy otherwise. There were only a few loose feathers, and a red spot on one side of her head - no other signs of trauma.

I'm thinking she just got stepped on or something like that - hopefully not meanness by the other chicks?? I do have one SS that I call Biter, because she seems to get me at least once a day (but I've never seen her bite the other chicks, just me) ... I've been wondering if she should go live up the road with her 2 rooster sibs, they were bought at TSC from a large selection, hopefully they aren't really brother and sister. I'm a newbie to chickens, does that even matter?

Bye little chick :-(

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    5 weeks is a big age difference if they have been separated. The older ones usually pick on the younger. I can not trust my 8 week olds with any of the younger chicks alone. They will peck them to death at this point. I'm sure it's going to take me a while to integrate them. I'm not integrating them until they are all about the same size.

3. skhomer

skhomer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Homer, Georgia
    That's what I was afraid of. My fault. I've also got 5 3-wk old BAs that are still separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by