RIP Achilles :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So when we went to put the chickens up yesterday afternoon around 1:00 pm, one of our little bantam mottled cochin roos was missing. No feathers anywhere...no sign of him. We've looked high and low...he's not locked in anywhere. Not here this morning. In Florida we do have hawks around. Do you think they would have taken him? He probably weights 10-12 ounces...he was on the small side for a bantam. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2008
  2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this! It's very possible that a hawk took the little guy away.

[​IMG] :aww

3. ChickyBabe

ChickyBabe Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Oh!! thats so sad. I lost more then half my flock last winter to coyotes. I have lots of sympathy for you.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

oldtimegator---
    --I am SO sorry to hear about that! I have a special place in my heart for mottled cochins!! [​IMG]

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:Thanks, Denee...It's one of the roos we got from Jerome. We were never able to find him so I sure it was a predator of some sort.

My daughter is a "expert" shooter in the Army and just re-qualified on her weapons last weekend. She said that she was going to kill everything that moved near her house and the coops. She's been crying for 2 days over Achilles (the little roos name).

I bought 5 mottled babies about 12 weeks old from Bantyman. They are shipping out of North Georgia on Monday. I'll post pics when they arrive.

RIP Achilles....

6. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Judy--
    I don't blame her. If Elvis (our mottled roo) went amiss, there would be h*!! to pay too! So sorry for Achilles!!

[​IMG]

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Just wanted to post a pic of our little roo Achilles...RIP Achilles...

[​IMG][/img]

8. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    He was beautiful. I'm so sorry. I just lost a banty roo that I loved too so I know how sad it is.

[​IMG]

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so very sorry.

He's so beautiful...
    Is there any chance that something (dog, or other..) chased him and he ended up far afield, unsure how to get home, needing someone to find him? [​IMG]

JJ

10. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sending love and prayers your way!!

I hope you find him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by