1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

RIP Angel :(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bock, Dec 8, 2010.

1. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Yesterday, (on my birthday, just my luck) I lost my poor special needs duckie. I got her from Metzer Farms in Spring, and she has always had seizures and was blind in one eye. I believe this was due to her large crest, and she could never be a normal duck. It broke my heart, but every day I would let the rest of the flock down to the pond and she would have to stay in the backyard. I let her roam around on the grass with the chickens, with food and a pool, without any problems for about 6 months. She found her way around okay, but sometimes she would have terrible seizures that could last as long as a minute. I felt so helpless. Yesterday morning I left in a rush, and I didn't even have time to pet her goodbye. I got home that evening, and she was simply gone. I couldn't even find one of her feathers. I feel so bad, like I should have protected her better. But, I have never before lost any of my ducks, chickens, or geese during the day. The dogs usually are there to ''patrol'' the yard, but they had been in the house. I am guessing a hawk got her, but why wouldn't it have taken the bantam chickens by now. It just deosn't make sense. We have hawks, coyotes, raccoons, mountain lions (but that seems unlikely), and foxes. *Sigh*, I am feeling really sad and guilty. RIP Angel, I hope now that you really are an angel, you can run and swim around with the other duckies. [​IMG]

2. roocrazy

roocrazy Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    the ezact same thing happened with my goose today but she was way to big for a hawk or an owl

really sad and depressed
    and guilty

i do know how you feel

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    [​IMG] How devastating for you. Especially on your birthday. At least she was well looked after and loved while you had her. She had a good life - so many others would not take the time to care for a disabled duck... You gave her months more than she could have had.

4. funnybirds

funnybirds Songster

Oct 16, 2010
    So very sorry. Such bad news. [​IMG]

5. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thank you. [​IMG] I just hope I don't lose any more while they are free ranging, I don't know what I would do with all of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by