RIP Baby

nightshade

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Jonestown Pa , Columbia County
Well to make a really hard story short, On Friday I had to have my pet raccon put to sleep. I came home from town inthe afternoon and he laid on the floor shaking. We rushed him to the only vet in the area that would see him, cause he was a coon. There was nothing we could do but watch him die or put him out of his pain. He was only 3. The vet said it seemed to be something wrong with his mind, probably genetic, and that he may have even had it from birth. That he maybe just was not wired right.

Anyways I am taking it really hard. I know this may sound stupid but he was like a second child to me. I have had him since he was so little. I bottle fed him ever 2 hours for the first few months, taught him what solid food was when he started to get teeth. Raised him just like you would an child you just brought home from the hospital. Feeding, bathing, teaching him. He ment alot to me, alot more then my Dh realizes I think.

I am an insominac and every night that raccoon would keep me company while every one else was sleeping. He would sit on my lap like and oversized house cat and we would surf the net, watch tv even just cuddle me while I read a book. Hell Dh would wake up and he would be laying between us in bed just chillin' watching nova with his mommy.

I miss him so much, exspecially times like right now when the house is quite and I am up alone and my little Baby is not here snuggling with me..... It's hard. His sleeping pen is still in the living room, it has been 5 days and I still can't deside weather I should move it out to the garage or just wait alittle while and see how I feel about getting another coon. I keep thinking about standing there holding him while they put him under and what he was like when he was so little just after we got him. He was smaller then a sneeker and he just loved his weekly bath in the tub with his rubber duckies, even when he got bigger he still had to have those darn duckies in the tub. I feel like I stood there and watched one of my childern die and that I told them it was okay to do it.
hit.gif

I know probably sounds stupid hugh.

That is so awful. I'm cryin'. It ain't stupid at all. I hope you are all right. It is so hard to lose those closest to us when no one can understand. It seems funny to some, but to put your love in to something or somebody, thats as real as it gets. and it hurts. I have trouble sleepin too. That's why I'm on the computer at 12:30 in the morning.

sad.png

I'm so sorry for your loss hun.
I can't say I know how you're feeling, but I can say i've been close to it.
Just take your time and make sure you really want another one before you do it.
It sounds like it'd be really good for you, but i know that none will ever replace him.

He knows you loved him, and it looks like you treated him so well.

If you ever need someone to talk to, you can PM me.

while I personally don't understand the coon thing, I certainly understand losing an animal you love.

no matter what anyone says, you need the grieving time and please make sure you take the time you need to have that process.

hang in there and take your time.

hugs.gif

Oh I am so sorry. I know that time is the only thing that will ease your pain...just never feel stupid or wrong for grieving. I have my bottle baby opossum and fully understand the attachment level. Again, I am so incredibly sorry.

I am sorry for your loss, I know how attached we can get to 'soul mate' pets.

Neuro signs in a racoon would make me worry about distemper or rabies (or a parasite). Was he vaccinated and dewormed? If not, you might want to talk about that with the vet or your doctor. Distemper won't affect people, but the other 2 could. Make sure you're safe.

Take care

AWW sorry for your loss . I had a baby skunk that i had found and raised it . (its mother and brothers and sisters were hit by a car ) . She died when she was 5 .

Where did you get a pet racoon ? Did you find it or buy it ?

again sorry for your loss . hang in there

Back
Top Bottom