RIP Beautiful Skye

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Nov 9, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

After two weeks of working treatment and therapy, trying to get her crop to begin working, consulting experts to see if there was anything we'd missed, we lost my Skye, Suede's main lady. She would have been three years old in January. We feel there was another internal problem, plus her crop issue, that, in addition to her molt, was just too much for her body to handle. She'd always had a bit of a "loose/swingy" crop, but never any real trouble with it. Lost my older blue Orp last year during a hard molt to sour crop (she had a pendulous crop, too). So, here it a tribute to Skye, who with Suede, produced many beautiful youngsters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So sorry.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

Bittersweet day. As she was going, four baby Delawares pipped in the bator. The cycle continues. She will be missed around here. Though she wasn't the most super friendly hen, didnt like to be picked up except as she became weaker, she gave us alot of pleasure just to see her beautiful self out there with Suede and the others.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    So sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'm sorry Cyn. Skye was beautiful. [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sorry about your girl.

8. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful chicken.

9. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    As more hatch I cannot help myself wondering/hoping some of the characteristics that make the fallen so special come out of the new eggs.

RIP Skye.

10. speckledhen

What a nice thought, Reva. Thank you. There has been some talk about not having emotional connections to a chicken, but I will never allow someone to make me feel bad for caring deeply about a bird who hatched here and whose welfare we looked after for three years, whose babies we hatched here and shared with others, who was a joy to see out there in the yard every day. I just won't apologize for that. I was not connected to Skye the way I am my crippled rooster, Zane, who I love as much as any dog I've had, but I am very sad at her passing, sad that nothing we did seemed to do much good. We will look inside her to see if we can find a clue as to what took her from us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by