RIP Chaz the Rooster

Wjeffgriggs

Songster
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
I always keep a close eye on the chickens while they free range. I step inside for 10 minutes and come out to see my very much loved rooster Chaz dead hanging out the mouth of my A-HOLE neighbor's hunting beagle. He was defiantly a one of a kind rooster and can not be replaced. I was told he was a Silkie mixed with a Frizzle, which is a Sizzle, but the pictures I canfind of Sizzles look nothing like him.

I don't see any reason. It will be a argument where I might get $10-$15 for the rooster. I should have enough money at the end of this month to put up a fence around my property. I should not have got comfortable leaving them out, it is partially my fault to.

Beagles are killing machines.

One of mine swallowed a bobwhite quail whole, while out hunting once, before I could break him up on the birds

I didn't know that a sharp shank hawk that was over head in a tree and had the birds pinned to the ground, inside a huge multiflora rose.

My son asked,"Did you see that?!"

"Yep, Ole Luke will most likely poop a feather duster tonight."

If you have a killing machine dog please keep it in a fence. Two of my other neighbors have missing cats and I bet this is the corporate. I do not want to shoot the dog because obviously it is not the dogs fault.

I appreciate that you don't want to kill the dog and are planning on putting up a fence. It is a dog owner's responsibility to keep their dogs tied up, but as chicken keepers, it is our responsibility to protect our chickens from the dogs who belong to irresponsible owners, and from the wildlife in our areas.

Mine stay in a kennel 24/7 when they are not under my direct supervison out in the field.

I know their nature.

My wife's uncle has birds next door to us and the dogs let him know if vermin are worrying his flock.

Be it wild or domestic.

If you have to destroy the animal to proctect your property, then do so.

You have already shown more restraint than I would have.

The owner of the beagle, I'm sure, knows you have birds, and therefore should do what it takes to keep his dog on his own property.

Do your animals wander on his place?

I bet not.

I cannot take full credit in showing restraint. In the heat of the moment I went over to the dog owner's house to bless them out and luckily they were not home. Now that I have had some time to think about it and cool down I might give them heads up that their dog is getting out and killing my chickens.

Last edited:
Back in 1979, when I 1st got out of the military, I had a bunch of chickens with my father in law.

I had a Welsummer Rooster that was my pride and joy.

A pet.

Back then, several of neighbors had dogs that they let roam free over the community.

After coming home from work one afternoon, I saw a neighbors dog chained up(for the first time), with my dead rooster tied around his neck.

I went home, loaded my S&W revolver, put it in a side holster, and went to the neighbor's home.

After knocking on the door, the man of the house anwsered, at which time I asked him if he wanted to kill his dog or if he wanted me to do the honors?

His wife just about passed out up on seeing the side arm.

He said he didn't want to destroy the animal and would make it worth my while, money wise, to spare the animal, since his wife was pregnant and was attached to the dog.

He wrote me a check for $100 and better yet the check cleared the bank.

I said this was fine and good, but if I found the dog loose again, it would be his last.

Even to this day that man still hates me.

RIP Chaz
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom