RIP Chicken Little...My sweet CX

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mccaff mama hen, Aug 9, 2010.

1. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Well I'm deeply sadden to have to share that Chicken Little died this afternoon. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] She had been recovering so well with the medication the vet gave her. I even had her outside in her own coop/pen since Saturday. I saw her are about 1:30 and she seemed almost normal. I don't know if it was the incredible heat today or a combo of recovering and heat. I know it was amazing she made it 11 months, this healthy. She was following me around the yard yesterday like always. She was such a sweet, docile girl and the reason I became addicted to chickens. She will truly be missed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/44723_img00054-20100501-1801_2.jpg

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for your loss. It always seems it's our favorite one that's the first to go.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Her good health for 11 months is a tribute to your level of care.

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little girl. [​IMG] She was a beauty.

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am so sorry [​IMG]

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry to hear this... you did your very best for her. [​IMG]

8. mccaff mama hen

mccaff mama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for your kind condolences. I just feel so frustrated with myself...I feel some what responsible. I added some new multi aged chicks in mid June, kept them separated, some outside in the small coop/run some inside in the brooder. Well, in total I've lost 4. After the first 2 I thought it may be cocci, so I did treat them in their water, but still lost 2. They aren't in the same run CL was in, but the last week or so I put them in the run next to hers. I thought everyone was finally healthy. I had no experience with cocci before this and so far I haven't been able to save one once they come down with it. I'm worried now my EE may be getting sick so I began treating everyone again. I'm afraid I could lose my whole flock. I don't know who to separate. Think I'm going to post this under emergencies/sick. Thanks for letting me vent and most of all your support.

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My condolences [​IMG]

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So sorry for your loss, but you can't blame yourself. The heat probably was to blame. CXs are not meant for the long haul. Their hearts are mush, and it doesn't take much to be too taxing for them. You did the best you could and treated CL well, so what more could a chicken ask for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by