Rip Chickie Lake...

Autumn97

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
So i unfortunately lost one of my babies yesterday. I had them outside in a dog kennel with the bottom out to get some sun and outside time... I went to the end of the road to get my son off of the bus, when i returned the babies had escaped the kennel and i frantically started looking for them. I found the first 3 pretty fast but as i went around the house i saw a cat over my little chickie lake's body... Im heart broken and feel like its all my fault. How can i make the kennel to where they cant escape during outside time? I dont have a coop yet.

I would put fencing around the bottom of it to not only keep them from escaping but for predators. If you want to take extra precautions I would put netting above the kennel ( if it doesn’t have a roof already ) so hawks can’t snatch them up. Also I’m sorry for you’re loss. It’s hard losing chickens. I’ve lost three of my hens and it took part of my heart away. Have a good day

I would put fencing around the bottom of it to not only keep them from escaping but for predators. If you want to take extra precautions I would put netting above the kennel ( if it doesn’t have a roof already ) so hawks can’t snatch them up. Also I’m sorry for you’re loss. It’s hard losing chickens. I’ve lost three of my hens and it took part of my heart away. Have a good day
It has a top, its a very small little dog kennel i just wanted them to be able to get grit and sunshine and bugs and grass.. It broke my heart

Photos of the set up? Hard to give advice without seeing what you're working with.
I dont have photos but of the crate outside. I Havent put them out there again since the incident because i need wire cutters for the chicken wire. I just plan to wrap the crate with the wire so the babies cant escape. Its a medium sized dog crate. I just took the black tray out to allow them to get dirt and grass. They were out there for about 15 minutes only.

I dont have photos but of the crate outside. I Havent put them out there again since the incident because i need wire cutters for the chicken wire. I just plan to wrap the crate with the wire so the babies cant escape. Its a medium sized dog crate. I just took the black tray out to allow them to get dirt and grass. They were out there for about 15 minutes only.

Going to assume it's a standard wire dog crate then. I'd skip the chicken wire, unless you plan on supervising the entire time they're there - while it'd probably keep the chicks from getting out, it won't stop anything from reaching IN. Use hardware cloth instead, or welded wire no larger than 1/2".

Back
Top Bottom