RIP Cookie

Have you lost a chickens to raccoon's before?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chicken Girl1

Queen of the Coop
5 Years
Mar 3, 2015
Virginia
My little mixed breed cookie was killed by a raccoon last night
hit.gif
. I have had many chickens caught by those animals
somad.gif
including her sister and mama. I just wanted to share how BYC helped me to save her during her hatch, she was supposed to have not survived but she was a fighter! Here are the threads: Here mama had some problems while brooding: *Pic added* Broody hen's neck seems stuck, broody hen with neck problem, This is what happened to her: Yellow mold on hatching egg *update*, Please Read and HELP!!, premature chick.

RIP Cookie!

Her Mama Oreo (Barred Rock)

Her Daddy Zorro (mutt)

Cookie

Thanks for reading,
ChickenGirl1

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
So sorry about your loss -- since it seems you have a pattern of problems with losses to racoons it may be that making some changes to your management and/or structures could help prevent further losses.

Chicken Girl1

Queen of the Coop
5 Years
Mar 3, 2015
Virginia
So sorry about your loss -- since it seems you have a pattern of problems with losses to racoons it may be that making some changes to your management and/or structures could help prevent further losses.
We had a problem when we were new with chickens 4 years ago and our latest one besides yesterday was 2 years ago :-(. We set a trap out for it and will keep doing that until it's caught.

scratch'n'peck

Crowing
Oct 31, 2008
West Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I'm so sorry about Cookie. I hope you trap the culprit. But it is still good idea to try and figure out how it got in. Unfortunately, I have learned through experience that there is an endless supply of raccoons.

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
I'm so sorry about Cookie. I hope you trap the culprit. But it is still good idea to try and figure out how it got in. Unfortunately, I have learned through experience that there is an endless supply of raccoons.

Yep - which is why the short term fix of eliminating one is all well and good, but only when combined with taking other, long-term, fixes to protect against the next to come along.

Chicken Girl1

Queen of the Coop
5 Years
Mar 3, 2015
Virginia
Yep - which is why the short term fix of eliminating one is all well and good, but only when combined with taking other, long-term, fixes to protect against the next to come along.

Thanks guys!

Top Bottom