1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIP Cookie

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chicken Girl1, May 22, 2015.

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    My little mixed breed cookie was killed by a raccoon last night [​IMG]. I have had many chickens caught by those animals [​IMG] including her sister and mama. I just wanted to share how BYC helped me to save her during her hatch, she was supposed to have not survived but she was a fighter! Here are the threads: Here mama had some problems while brooding: *Pic added* Broody hen's neck seems stuck, broody hen with neck problem, This is what happened to her: Yellow mold on hatching egg *update*, Please Read and HELP!!, premature chick.

RIP Cookie!
    [​IMG]
    Her Mama Oreo (Barred Rock)
    [​IMG]
    Her Daddy Zorro (mutt)
    [​IMG]
    Cookie

Thanks for reading,
    ChickenGirl1

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    So sorry about your loss -- since it seems you have a pattern of problems with losses to racoons it may be that making some changes to your management and/or structures could help prevent further losses.

3. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    We had a problem when we were new with chickens 4 years ago and our latest one besides yesterday was 2 years ago :-(. We set a trap out for it and will keep doing that until it's caught.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry about Cookie. I hope you trap the culprit. But it is still good idea to try and figure out how it got in. Unfortunately, I have learned through experience that there is an endless supply of raccoons.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Yep - which is why the short term fix of eliminating one is all well and good, but only when combined with taking other, long-term, fixes to protect against the next to come along.

6. Chicken Girl1

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Thanks guys!

7. MagicPidge

MagicPidge Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2015
    ACT
    I'm so sorry for your loss. It's clear that Cookie was very loved (and cute!)... Stay strong [​IMG]

8. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry for you're loss! I know the pain of losing a chicken by a racoon[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by