RIP Cruella!! Any ideas on why she died??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wicked Gardener, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Wicked Gardener

Wicked Gardener Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    A very sad day...My 22 wk old Black Sex Link went from her usual fun, feisty self to a very sick chicken overnight. We woke yesterday to find her lethargic, not interested in food at all and drinking very little. She then passed what looked just like an egg without a shell but very bloody. She would stand or lay around all day and occassionally pass what looked like pale yellow goop sometimes with blood, sometimes not. We gave her warm baths, felt inside for any broken shell or egg and found nothing. I took her to the vet ER that treats livestock (don't laugh at me) and they xrayed her, found no shell of any kind. They felt something firm inside and said that it may have been another egg forming. They gave her fluids and an antibiotic shot for infection since she had a temp. of 104. Sent us home with more oral antibiotics and a follow up appt. She seeped liquids (assuming the fluids they gave her) from her mouth and then died a few short hours later. The vet really didn't have any idea why she was dying, other than maybe an infection from a wounded claw that she had injured last week. There was no swelling or outward sign of an infection on the wound site, however. The "egg" that she passed may have been stress induced from infection is what they said. I wish there was a definitive answer to her illness, so I can be sure the other hens are fine (we have 5 others).
    They free range our suburban backyard most of the day and are on layer crumbles. They have access to oyster shell, crumbles and water at all times. Favorite treats are yogurt, fruit and parsley. They have not ever been wormed--is that something I should do? Other than the claw injury, there has never been any problems with any of them. Only one of the hens, a BO, has been laying. We have been gifted perfect eggs every day for over 2 weeks from her.
    Any ideas or experiences with similar situations would be greatly appreciated!

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    A necropsy can answer the question of "why?" she died

I'm sorry for your loss, you obviously loved her and the other girls

3. flashover1969

flashover1969 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    I am very sorry for your loss.

What anti-biotics did the vet give you? I would think that if she didn't improve at all with an injection of anti-biotic that maybe your hen had a virus. Anti-biotics will do nothing in this case.

4. Wicked Gardener

Mar 30, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    They gave her an injection of Reglan (not sure if thats an antibiotic or not) and sent us home with Baytril.
    As far as the necropsy...my husband disposed of her before I even saw that they do that for free here in CA...

5. CamillaRules

CamillaRules Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I can't imagine what it was that killed her, but I am so sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences. You obviously did everything you could for her and loved her.

6. flashover1969

flashover1969 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Reglan is also known as Metoclopramide. It is used at least with chickens to treat impacted crop and for people it can be used to treat heartburn. The Baytril is the antibiotic and is used often by vets to treat animals.

After researching some of the symptoms that you listed, I would lean torwards Egg Peritonitis, but no one can know for sure without a necropsy. Hope that I was able to help you out a little bit.

7. Wicked Gardener

Mar 30, 2010
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Quote:Thanks...I'm going to look into that.
    Thank you all for your nice thoughts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by